Sick fish! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WickedWiggy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I am in desperate need of some guidance! I just had a fish die and the others are not looking too good. Clamped finns, lethargic, bottom sitting, scratching on decor. No sign of Ich or any visible wounds or unusual marks. Yesterday they were all fine except for one juvenile that has been scratching for a few days. Also, one other fish I noticed has become very underweight. Also noticed the water became cloudy overnight and I've always had crystal clear water. I think I over fed them yesterday but that's the first time I've ever done so.
It's a 60 gallon tank.
Levels are all normal:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10 - 20ppm
Tank temperature is usually kept around 78°F but I bumped it up to 82°F and plan on adding some aquarium salt.
I just did 2 back to back 50% water changes.
In my tank I have 2 Angels, 6 Mollies, and 2 Platies. It was one of my Mollies that died.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP. I will be so devastated if all my fish die. I use Prime when changing water. That's all the info that comes to mind. If you need more please ask!
Thank you!

lethargic fish with clamped fins can be due to either bad water quality or infection/parasites. It seems like ur water hasn't been bad until it was cloudy one time but also no visible signs of a problem. It can also be from stress or sudden changes. You should try to figure out what caused it before treating it.

are all of them like this? if only some are sick and others are healthy then remove whichever group is smaller (sick or healthy ones) and treat the sick group

Thank you for your input. I am trying to figure out what happened. Nothing has changed drastically. Haven't added any new fish and levels have remained steady. So. Yeah. That's why I'm here because I'm stumped. It is all the fish.

Only thing I can think of is over feeding them yesterday and there being lots of excess food and waste in the water. I have siphoned it all out, so we'll see if that helps.

Yeah, it is weird that there are no other signs. Usually too much fish food won't cause this kind of problem unless there's something really nasty in it getting in the water.

Also, I hadn't changed or cleaned my filter media in a long time. Maybe a couple months. It was totally black. It's taken care of now though

Just had 2 more fish die. Another Molly and 1 of my Angels. The Molly had Ich all over her but the Angel didn't have any visible signs of illness. I am baffled and heartbroken. The other seem to be swimming a bit better today but still not acting quite normal.

Did you clean your filter before the fish were sick? Maybe that caused a change to water conditions which they reacted to? You washed it in tank water I assume?

No, I cleaned my filter afterwards. Did it in tank water in a separate bucket which was dumped out. You guys might think I'm playing jokes or something but, honest to God, there seems to be no logical reason why this happned.

Quick update though:
There has been no more deaths and all fish seem to be recovering. Swimming around ect. Still a couple with clamped fins but they are on the road to recovery. Hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom