Sick fish! Need help asap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rochelle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my 55 gal tank 2 weeks ago on a Friday night. Being new to it, went in the next day and wanted fish. Got 2 Frontosa youngsters and a 6" Pleco. The guy also knew this was a freshly set up tank, so sold me bacteria and said I'd be good to put fish in immediately, after floating bags.

My fish started acting different this last Saturday (1 week later). Hiding, not eating much, no trips to check me out anymore...

The Frontosa turned from white and black, to dark grey and blacker. The Pleco went from very dark to having tan striping on his back and fins.

Woke up this morning and one of the Frontosa had passed. :(

But now I have a very sick looking Pleco as well. His belly ALMOST looks like "sunken belly". And it seems to have fungus of some sort??

Help!

Attachments

• image-2086481337.jpg
    image-2086481337.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 86
Also, because I didn't know about cycling mg tank before putting fish in, levels of nitrate and nitrite are quite high. Is that maybe all that is going on??

Gh-15
KH-240
Ph-8
Nitrites-10+/-
Nitrates-200+/-

Pleco just ate an algae wafer, front still not eating.

First, invest in a liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit. Strips are inaccurate at best and you NEED to know your ammonia levels as well as nitrite, nitrate & ph. Second, get a good water conditioner such as Prime- it will help keep your ammonia & nitrite detoxed between water changes. Third, no more fish until your tank is properly cycled then stock slowly and gradually.

Right now, if your reading 10+ nitrites, you need to start doing water changes with temperature matched, properly conditioned water to drop these down to .25ppm or lower. You likely also have very high ammonia levels. When you get a proper test kit, also test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate- this will give you a baseline for your tank numbers. Heres link with more info- please ask any questions you may have!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

+1 jlk; BIG WATER CHANGES are needed and moste likely multiple ones in the same day. Fish IN cycling a tank is not difficult if you are diligent with the water tests & water changes. It takes 6-8 wks to complete the cycle. When you say fungus, what does it look like? White fuzzy, white specks? Is your tank heated?

I did do about a 25% water change and not a single level changed. I lost my other Frontosa over night. Color has somewhat returned to my Pleco's belly. But the white almost looked patchy... Not specks and not realllly fuzzy. My tank is heated.

I was also told at one point to avoid water changes until the cycle is done. Is that a bad idea?

Please read the link I posted for you. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish. Toxic as in deadly toxic. You will need to do big, frequent water changes to get your levels of these toxins under control and keep them under control until your good bacteria are established and can process the toxins. A 25% water change will not even budge a 10+nitrite reading. Its going to take multiple water changes to bring this number under control. The rest of your fish are not going to survive if you do not act proactively with water changes to bring your toxins under control. Despite what you may have been told, water changes will NOT affect your cycle and your fish will thank you for them. Just make SURE you temperature match and properly condition the new water.

Ok, that makes sense... I was confused when told to avoid water changes, because to me it seemed logical I remove toxins. So thank you for confirming. Will start tonight. Should I do a gravel vac or just strictly water?? Also how much? 50%??

Just kidding... Read link. Will do what it says! Thanks:)

Just got home and did a 50% water change... Ugh! I don't see any difference except for a lowered nitrate.

Used my prime in each bucket of water before putting into new tank. I don't know what I could be doing wrong!!

Nitrite still at 10.
Nitrate now back down to 80.

HELP!

Ok, you need to get a liquid test kit as soon as possible. I dont know how inaccurate your strips are reading but if they are still showing high nitrites, then its safe to assume theres still nitrites in your tank. Have you tested your tap water? Assuming theres little to no nitrites in your tap, I honestly would do another 50+% water change now & retest in 1/2 hr. If they are still high, do another. Same thing tomorrow. These levels really need to be dropped lower. I dont know much you are feeding but I would reduce it to every other day until you can get your tank situation under control & have an accurate means to test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph.

Back
Top Bottom