sick fish quarantine - pregnant guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is Anna

1484784566935.jpg

Yesterday I noticed that she had a string of poop that looked like white tape following her. I moved her to a bare 10 gallon with a modified Aqueon Whisper 10. I don't have a heater right now, unfortunately, but I'm sure I could get one if she needs it. The water is currently 68° F. There are two tiny plastic plants, one of those terrible skulls that every fish store has, a clear tube, and an isolation box around the filter siphon.

I dosed with PraziPro- both the 10 gallon and the tank she came from. No other fish is showing symptoms.

She has pooped so much white tape looking stuff that I don't even know where it all came from. Constant long strands.

I haven't fed her since I moved her.

It seems like she must be terminally bored and lonely. Is this really how it works? She hangs out all alone for... How long?

She is also probably pregnant. Our guppies produce many lovely fry. It is possible she'll drop at any moment. I don't mind if she eats the fry, but I don't know what to do if she doesn't. Should I assume they are infected?

I say probably pregnant because she looks very busty. Usually the bulk is further back, not right under the mouth.

Thoughts?

She looks more bloated than pregnant. A bloated fish is usually caused by constipation, which can be solved by feeding her a pea. I use frozen peas to keep my fish regular; just de-shell the pea and mash up the inside a little. In addition I'd make sure that you carry out regular water changes. Good water is the best medication.
I've also read that bloatedness can be the early stages of dropsy, which can be fatal. If dropsy (scales stick out once progressed), it needs to be treated with antibiotics/bacterial control meds, as dropsy is a bacterial issue.
So peas, regular water changes, and possibly some meds if you're able to.

I feed the tank peas weekly, and I also do water changes weekly. She's not pineconing, but you're right that she looks bloated.

She just got booted to a bucket because a fish from my other tank has what looks like a gash on his head.

I feel like a terrible fish keeper, but I really do a lot to take care of these critters!

Even if she's not pineconing, there's still a possibiltiy it's dropsy. They only start pineconing once it's pretty much too late to save them.
Also, does the bucket have heating? They're tropical fish, no adequate heat is a must.
I know what it's like to feel like a terrible fish mom/dad, but the only way to learn is through experience and a heck load of research. I own mollies, and honestly sometimes i'll sit on the internet for hours just reading up on them. You honestly learn so much hidden information and tips from other people just in those few hours.

She's back in the QT. I'm pretty sure his issue was trauma. I got a little preset heater. I went to two different places and found zero antibiotics, so I'll have to try another place tomorrow.

I know what it's like to feel like a terrible fish mom/dad, but the only way to learn is through experience and a heck load of research. I own mollies, and honestly sometimes i'll sit on the internet for hours just reading up on them. You honestly learn so much hidden information and tips from other people just in those few hours.

When I say I take good care of these fish, I mean that I take *meticulous* care of them. Lots of research.

Mostly I posted this thread because it seems like quarantine must be incredibly boring and lonely, which seems like it would be very stressful.

How are they doing? Sorry i haven't responded in a while, i haven't been keeping up with emails. I find sick fish are usually glad to be quarantined, other fish can be a pain when they're feeling sick and might just stress them out more.

How are they doing? Sorry i haven't responded in a while, i haven't been keeping up with emails. I find sick fish are usually glad to be quarantined, other fish can be a pain when they're feeling sick and might just stress them out more.
You're fine!

She died, a ram died, Harlequin, dwarf gourami, and kuhli loach all died. It's been terrible. Columnaris SUCKS.

Oh god, i'm so sorry. Are all of your fish dead now then? If so, i wouldn't let this discourage you. You seem to have done everything possible for these fish.
Also, are you certain all these fish can be housed together? I was thinking maybe having the wrong types of fish in one tank may have caused the tank break down?

OH, just seen the bit about columnaris. What size was your tank and how many fish were in it?

These fish could definitely not all be together. The guppies, gourami, and loaches were in one tank. The Harlequins and rams were in the other. I realize that I worded that poorly. One of each of those fish died. I'm treating with Furan-2, KanaPlex, hydrogen peroxide, salt, and reduced temperatures. I'm going to kick this.

Try not to go overboard with the meds. It will do more harm than good.
In most cases I would agree. Given that many people respond to this infection by euthanizing all fish exposed and sterilizing everything, the harm is already done.

Plus I'll be using potassium manganate as soon as I get it, which demolishes everything, so I'm outright nuking this tank.

Nitrofuran and kanamycin function differently and enhance each other's effectiveness. I have been researching so much on this. I'm reading everything I can find.

Back
Top Bottom