Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick Fish! What to do?

I have a fancy gold fish and I am at a lost on what do to help him. I have pics and a vid for you to see him to help me. Also here is some info that I know you will need to know as well.

10gl tank (aquaclear 30 filter)
Bubbler

I feed Bubbles Pro-Gold and also have medi-gold too.

I will also be posting the testing results of the water in his tank as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackspot on face.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	86232   Click image for larger version

Name:	bubbles right eye swollen.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	86233  

Name:	bubbles left profile.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	86234   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin rot tip.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	86235  

Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #2

here are his tank water results and products I have on hand at the present time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M1040032.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	86236   Click image for larger version

Name:	M1040036.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	86237  

Name:	M1040035.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	86238  

Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

most people say you need a 20gal. minimum for each fancy goldfish. i would guess your 10gal is too small. i really can't tell from the photos what your test numbers are. can you post them?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

also it would help if you can give more background on your tank. is it cycled? how long have you had it set up? how long have you had the fish in this tank? also as stated above please give water parameter numbers. ph,ammonia,nitrate and nitrite.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Thanks for the info! Lets start with this- what exactly is wrong/different with him besides the minor fin rot on his tail? In the video, his gills look extremely red/inflamed- is this the case? Are there wen issues as well? I would start by doing atleast a 50% wc with temperature matched properly conditioned water. You have what looks like in the pic detectable ammonia & nitrite. Start by addressing any water quality issues first- meds do not help if theres issues with the water. I would then add some aq salt & start feeding him a full course of treatment of the medi-gold. Premix 2 flat tablespoons of aq salt in a cup of tank water & add slowly over 48hrs. When you do a water change, add back only the salt you remove (ie, 50% wc, add back 1/2 original dose or 1 flat tablesp). Make sure you test your water daily & do a water change if theres any detectable ammonia and/or nitrite- if theres none, I would do a water change every other day to provide the healthiest water you can for him so he can heal up quickly. Please ask if you have any questions!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #6

He will will be moved to a 55gl tank soon. Just waiting for it to cycle.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

He has been in the 10gl tank for almost a year. He was ill when I got him. the fin rot and red lines in his fins have been there from the start and have struggled to get him 100% since then. what happening now is the black spots on his face and the right side of his face is so swollen that you cant see his eye.

The results of the tests were

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrates - 30
PH - 8.2

His tank was cycled but with the meds I've been using and the water changes I know it not in top form right now.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

JLK thats why I posted the vid. Because other then the black spots on his face, his right side of his face is so swollen you can't see his eye. I'm not sure what to do becuase everything I have done before has worked but only temporary. This is the worst I've seen and I feel that I've been missing something. As a matter of fact he's the fish that I will be putting in my 55gl tank that you've been helping me cycle. He's not going to be in the 10gl for long, but I just want to be sure that he's 100% (if possible) before I put him in the 55gl tank.

Also, thank you for pointing out about his gills because honestly, I didn't even realize. So yea thats something new too.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Thank you for pointing this out. I thought it was his natural coloring (black spots) & he just had some extreme wen growth. Did this occur overnight or has it been gradual swelling? What exactly have you used to try treating so far?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why don't you move him into the new tank and do a fish in cycle. Surely that would be better than him in a small tank?

Tags
ick, sick, sick fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com