Sick GBR with pictures, please help me identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, I hope all is well with you and your tanks! I am having a problem in my fiance's office tank. Unfortunately I did not quarantine some new black skirts I got from a LFS, and they have infected the tank with ich. I moved his GBR to a quarantine tank of mine, and the ram seems to be doing well, but I noticed this spot on her face that is worrying me. It almost looks like a tiny zit. Normally I would assume it was a spot of ich, but it almost looks like it is under the skin ,could it possibly an infected wound or something? I am probably over thinking it and should just treat for ich like I thought, but I could really use a second opinion. I don't want to treat an already sick fish with unnecessary meds if I don't diagnose this correctly. Thanks for your time and expertise as always!

unnamed.jpg

unnamed_2.jpg

unnamed_1.jpg

Yes, she is always there greeting me and waiting for me to drop food in. I usually feed her Hikari Micro Wafers as her main staple, but I also will feed API flakes, frozen PE Mysis Shrimp and a Hikari Spirulina/Brine Shrimp combo, or a slice of blanched zucchini/cucumber from time to time and she takes all of them without a problem. There was some aggression going on in that office tank because the female angel in there decided she wanted to breed even though there wasn't a male in sight, laid eggs and then started backing everyone into a corner of the tank. That's the only reason I thought maybe it could be an infected wound of some kind, and the ich may be due to stress from people being bullied by the broody angel before I moved them.

Hmmm others may know a remedy for this, but I can't recommend.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can try to get some better pictures this morning before I go to work. It seems to be the only spot on her, which I'm glad that there aren't more.

After looking at it more thoroughly I am sure it's just a larger sized ich spot than I am used to seeing. It's the only spot left in the tank, but as coralbandit recommended I am going to continue to treat the entire tank for a while to be sure. Many rounds of gravel vac, etc. I will keep you all posted, thanks for the second opinions!

-Robert

After looking at it more thoroughly I am sure it's just a larger sized ich spot than I am used to seeing. It's the only spot left in the tank, but as coralbandit recommended I am going to continue to treat the entire tank for a while to be sure. Many rounds of gravel vac, etc. I will keep you all posted, thanks for the second opinions!

-Robert
All fish are sensitive.
Rams can be even more at times.
Many disease present indifferent forms/or with different symptoms.
Often even an experienced eye will miss "original" onset and catch the secondary infection instead.
Many times the secondary infection will clear if the first /original issue is taken care of.

I can't say from picture it looks like or that I thought it was ich.
I just thought
the OP said they knew ich was present in tank.
Too many times IMO keepers fight an issue much harder then needed if they had recognized and treated quicker.
That seemed like more then enough info for me to dose for ich.
Hope my thinking makes sense (or someone help me:nono:).
Rid ich plus is good stuff IMo and my choice of ich treatment in ALL my tanks(y).
Hope this all helps and good luck with your ram.:popcorn:

Yeah I know I am silly sometimes and tend to over-think things. To be fair though I have ever only dealt with an ich outbreak twice since starting in the hobby about 9 months ago, so my experience with fish disease in general is pretty limited at this point. It is definitely ich that she has, I am just used to seeing much smaller spots. The spot she has looks like this:
White-Spot.jpg

When I am used to seeing ich look a lot more like this, smaller spots but a lot of them, like they've been dusted with table salt:
FishIchWhiteSpotsBlackTetra1.jpg

She doesn't seem to be responding to the ich meds. I am using Kordon Rid Ich Plus, and it doesn't seem to be dealing with the spot. If anything it's a little bigger. Her eyes are starting to look cloudy too. I am starting to wonder if I am dealing with some sort of parasite instead. Ugh. I took my carbon out of course, and have been giving her ich meds for 5 days now without any success. Should I do a water change and run some carbon to take out the Rid Ich meds, and then try treating her with PraziPro or something instead? Thanks in advance for any and all of your help, she has been hanging in there and I really want to see her get better!

Use carbon,change water.
If the rid ich made no impact try a week of good waterchanges.
Eye issues are usually bacterial.

During the ich meds time I was doing daily 25% PWC before each dose. What I read up on parasites said that since she has a good appetite, but is on the thin side, she still has that weird spot under her skin coming out, and her eyes are starting to look cloudy. Supposedly that can be a sign of an internal parasite too. Either way the water changes couldn't hurt!

if you truly suspect internal parasite praziquantel(prazi pro/praztastic) is a very safe med to use IMO , but have at it once you get the rid ich out.
The MG in rid ich shouldn't be mixed with many meds not sure on the prazi but better safe then sorry.
Good luck !

Definitely a good idea. Thank you again for your advice. I will continue my water changes and run some carbon for a few days, then start her on PraziPro. Will keep you guys updated!

Back
Top Bottom