Sick German blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crew

Aquarium Advice Freak
My German blue ram has an inflated right eye. No other fish seem to be affected. Although he does seem to be very unhappy with his new deformity. What might be the cause and how can I help him?

Difficult to get a photo because the fish has gone into hiding-my first sign of trouble.
Parameters are seemingly fine, ph read approx 7.8, ammonia is <0.25ppm
The area around the eyeball and the eye itself has bulged slightly. Not a moor goldfish bulge, but still quite noticeable.
Other tankmates include 7 Serpae tetras, 2 golden wonder killies, 1 Otto, and 1 upside down catfish. Tank size is 29G.
My other GBR passed away not too long ago, my reasoning was because this one was bullying it quite a lot. I was hoping to find a female and re-home the male. Alas, I was too late to save him. Hoping I can save this one though.

Talvari said:
Does it look like this:

Fish Pop-Eye

Of sorts yes. And the symptoms, (i.e no food interest and not much movement) seem to clarify it. I think this might be it. Hmm.. I did read the article but I dont have "Epsom salts" and other such stuff, any meds I could possibly buy at Petsmart or other stores that I could add to the tank that wouldn't harm the others?

I found some Aquarium salt and added almost 1/3 of a cup to the tank. Will do a pwc tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your fish. GBRs are notoriously sensitive fish and I think it's going to be hard to get him well again if he has been sick for a while. Lots of very clean water is a good place to start so I would bump up your water change schedule right away. Check your nitrates and try to keep them very low. Quarantine if you can but only into an established tank or another space if you can guarantee you can keep the ammonia and nitrites at zero and the nitrates very low. Google for popeye remedies and treat accordingly. Best of luck.

Got a bottle of melafix in my hand at Petsmart, on the back it says it can treat pop eye. Might have to buy it. And yes, unfortunately I've heard about the sensitivity.
I've had this guy for about 5 or so months.

Back
Top Bottom