Sick Glo-Light Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foshizzle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, we have a community tank and 1 of our striped danios stopped eating and just got so skinny compared to the others and died.

Is there some sort of parasite or something that makes them stop eating?

When we put food in it swims around and has plenty of opportunity to eat but doesn't. And I'm afraid it will die like the other striped danio did.

Any ideas??

Tank has Colombian tetras, striped and glo-light danios, angel fish, yo-yo loach, ornate tetras, 1 pleco and an albino Cory.

We do water changes every week and have a HOB filter.

No idea what the problem is.... :(

Here is a pic, right in the middle is the small one and the blurry one is clearly way fatter.

Attachments

• image-503087933.jpg
    image-503087933.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 78
Fwiw, Zebra Danios are highly inbred. You do get weak specimens that do not live long, and I've lost one or two as you describe. Stopped eating, but they were skinny and small before that, didn't grow like the others. They are bred in the millions because they are used for research, so all sorts of recessive genes can show up, many of which do not lead to long healthy lives.

When you buy them, never take the smallest, never take one with any obvious deformity, such as a bent spine or missing gill cover, and if they look very thin compared to the rest, skip those too. Males are thinner than females, of course, but some of them are really weedy looking, those you should avoid.

The Glo light danio may have similar problems, even though it's not used for research so far as I know, many popular fish species are still very inbred, because they are bred in large numbers on farms. It's hard to control what fish breeds with another, even if new stock is added often, gene pools become restricted.

Thanks. We have tried many types of food, it is the same response.

We will just add more to the tank that are healthy.

What you have written makes sense, I just hope that this is the case and more don't follow this pathway.

Hope not too. I'm rather fond of many of the Danio species. One I like very much is the spotted variant of the Kyathit danio. Gold body and big black spots very like a cheetah or leopard look.

Oddly, the Leopard danio has tiny spots, but the long fins ones have yellow on the fins and are quite attractive themselves. But I really like the Kyathit spotted ones.. about the same size as the Zebra, not as common, a bit less inbred. The other form has markings similar to a Giant danio. Nice fish, but not as pretty.

Even nicer, if you can find any, are Gold Ring danios. Much smaller, smaller spots, attractive little fish that tend to stay in the mid and lower levels, unlike many danio species. Very pretty, but not that easy to find.

Ya, the skinny in what died. The rest still look great so I think maybe just a weak little guy to start.

I think in going to get some diamond tetras. I find them to be very cool.

Not sure I want any more danios at this point, we will see!

Back
Top Bottom