Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick goldfish??

Hey,

One of my ryukin started lying on the ground in the tank today and is acting very lethargic. He (I call him a boy, not really certain if he is though) does swim around but it's only for a span of about 5 minutes and then lays down. Once I saw him on the ground I checked the water parameter then immediately did a water change. Has anyone else had this happen? Or can anyone give some advice on what might be wrong with him or how to fix it? I've had him for almost 2 years and he's been in his current tank for a little over a year. The other 3 goldfish are acting fine and are as active as ever.

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank with 4 fancy goldfish (2 ryukin and 2 ranchu).
They all get fed Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets that I soak in water for 15 minutes before feeding them.
2 Marineland Penguin 200 filters
A long airstone
bare bottom (no substrate)
Not heated (temp is about 73 degrees F)
I perform weekly 70% water changes.

Parameters
GH 60
KH 40
PH 7
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ammonia 0

Thanks!!

-Richard

Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long ago did you add the last fish?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hard to say really, just sitting on the ground sounds like internal bacteria/parasite. Have you fed them any feeder fish or live food? Fancy goldfish are pretty study when they get bigger, im sure he'll be okay, might need an ich treatment followed by an antibiotic treatment and maybe some rufage/greens in his diet. Sometimes mine will just sit on the bottom later at night when their tired as well. Im sure he'll be fine, but with no outward symptoms its really hard to say other than maybe some kind of internal Septima, in which case Terramycin (Oxytetracycline) is the antibiotic of choice, along with some rufage and less feeding.
Also, i find that Nuking the tank with Methylene blue along with the terramycin food is effective at destroying bacteria, youll have to do more PWC and recycle it, but hey its better than dead fish and Disease causing bacteria that wont go away.
Usually those belonging to the Aeromonas and psuedomonas group that are in the digestive tract and can then spread to the liver kidnes swim bladder and brain causing paralysis and death (its really just like blood poising in humans, septima)
You could also try Mentraizadole, but really these are just guesses, its pretty hard to say with these guys, hell likely just get over on his own, but mine respond well to Terramycin food when they get like this, he really should be active during the day.

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish, ick, sick, sick goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com