Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sick goldfish

Hi folks !
I have a great goldfish "Spot" . He's about 10 and he's always been very healthy. Today though we found him lying on the surface with large red marks on his sides - it looks like he's bruised on each flank. I also noticed that Spots scales are a little raised where the marks are. At times he swims a bit more normally but he's totally off his food and not too happy and seems sort of groggy.
Thq tank is 50 liters and appart from Spot I have a large snail and a 25cm cat fish. I have a normal sponge filter which I cleaned today.
I've changed some of the water too to see if that helped - I don't have a kit to measure ph. Then I saw the cat fish sucking on Spots side 8O
Do you think it could do internal dammage and cause these horr*ble marks ? Or has anyone else experienced red marking/bruising from anything else ?
I'd really appreciate some help with this - Spots been through thick and thin with me and I don't have a clue what to do for him

Old 10-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hmmm, at first when you said red patches , I thought of Septicemia or internal parasite, but I wouldnt be surprised if the catfish is whats doing it, or if not, hes making it worse. I could be wrong, but treating him with Melafix and Mycerin Two wouldnt hurt.
I had 3 goldfish not long ago and they were nothing but problems. I spent hours online looking up diseases and stuff and managed to cure them. Now they are in my parents' pond outside because they outgrew my tank.. lol. Good luck with Spot, it would be sad to lose him after so many years.

Faery_SilverDragon
SilverDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Your catfish is rasping on Spot's slimecoat. This is not uncommon when you mix goldies with cats.

You should give some thought to finding a better home for either the cat or Spot.

The Meds should be given in a QT/hospital tank.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for your advice.
Unfortunately right now it's not looking too bright for my old friend Spot. If he survives the night I'll try to get hold of the treatments you've named and the catfish will be delivered to a dealer.
Right now he's struggling and can't keep himself upright all the time. We're still hoping though
Old 10-15-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

good luck alex...and welcome to AA...
4 lovely ottos
2 lady platies

5gal FW
dry

La vida es un tango, las solitarias mesetas en mi lejana patagonia y un mate con amigos.....
patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Yes good luck and welcome to AA. Let us know how he makes out.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Spot RIP

I'd just like to say a very big thank you to those who came up with really great advice and kind thoughts and encouragement for my good friend Spot. Sadly he didn't make it and we buried him in tha garden under a white lilac tree on tuesday evening I suppose 10ish is an ok age for a goldfish but we miss having him around.
Thanks again - this is a brilliant web site !
Alex
Old 10-22-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear about Spot.

Welcome to AA, I'm sure you will like it here.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Awww I'm so sorry to hear about Spot. You had him for a long time and I'm sure you do miss him like crazy.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goldfish, ick, sick, sick goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com