Sick goldfish??? Help please!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basically it was the goldfish giving me fits! Ph was to high for Gouramis. And is now under control, tank has no issues and stays clean and clear. Gold fish was sick and causing issues. I appreciate everyone's help. Some good advice, but more knowledge on direct fixes and fish diseases was more helpful

Maybe im wrong. Didnt many here including me discuss your stocking.

Any ammonia is not good. Tank is 3 months old fish have grown. Will continue to grow. BB cant keep up. Goldfish in tanks is difficult to put it nicely. Very rarely works long term. Given your current stock which isnt compatible id say a 150g would work....for now. 2 large pleco and large common produce tons of waste. Add in the various other fish no way in a 55.

Good news...get rid of goldfish and atleast one pleco and youll drastically change your situation.
Overstocking/misstocking was your problem all along. Bad stocking creates stress which lowers fishes immune system.

Goldfish wasn't that big. He is the only fish that was removed and everything is more than fine now

And it certainly wasn't a cure for the goldfish which was what I was searching for

Certainly right about the goldfish though, everything was going fine until he got sick. But once removed the tank straightened up immediately and levels are perfect

The goldfish got sick because a 6-8" goldfish IS a big goldfish and should never be in a 55 Gallon tank with two 5" plecos (poop machines).

Your fish got sick because of the stress from the overstocking of the tank, but glad you got it correct, just want you to understand why he got sick. [emoji6]

All tanks have parasites or disease at one time or another, but just like humans if healthy their immune system usually fights it off stress from poor water quality, aggression, over or miss stocking can then cause them to get sick.

Really glad things are better just understand why we were saying what we did... Goldfish needed rehomed for his and everyone else's health or you were gonna have a hard time getting it right.

Goldfish became crazy sick, and still has sinking disorder. Hand feed him with a turkey baster every day and night. Everything else has cleared up. But at one point his eyes were completely cataracts over and he lost all collar. And have a thick white film or slime all over his body! Laying there on the bottom barely breathing. He has a healthy appetite and I am currently researching on how to fix his swim badder!! Actually going quite well but can't take 4 to 6 weeks to get it corrected. I don't have the heart to let him die.he seems to be doing well aside from not being able to swim, but seems to slowly be regaining movement and strength

I do however still have both plecos, but the tank is doing phenomenal and I have not been running my UV sterilizer in it at all.

I have 3 honey gourami in ph 8-8.2 and they're fine after 1 1/2 yrs. Most fish are tank raised and are more tolerant than wild caught, they adapt to your ph and were probably raised in water nearer your ph than that of their wild habitat.

Like I said the most important thing is you got your problems solved, just trying to help you figure out the cause of them.

The lady at the pet store, a family owned, not a chain. Was telling me the reason both dwarf Gourami fish died because my pH was too high for them. One died in less than 24 hours. The other took about three days

Of course that doesn't mean she was right, but she seemed pretty confident that was the case

You're on the right track. I have a very good lfs, but they're not always right. They do this for a living so they're usually not beginners, but they want to sell you stuff. Very easy to guess what's wrong then sell you a fix. Some very honest others not, but it's in their best Interest to have answers so you will come back. Have proven mine wrong several times by research and trial and error, but I'm a engineer (college) and toolmaker. I troubleshoot million dollar machines for a living, that's what I do. She wasn't dishonest, just wrong.

I have noticed that the goldfish now has a lump on his side up near where his swimbladder should be located. He cannot get off of the bottom of the tank or even set himself upright. He just lays on his side. I'm afraid his swim bladder is ruptured which would most likely be permanent damage. If it was over filled with gas from constipation he would have floating issues instead of sinking issues! Any guesses or advice on remedies to try.

Back
Top Bottom