Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I am not good at ID'ing FW disease by any means either but that fish is definitely a lot paler looking than it should be. Is she still eating? How long has it been showing symptoms? Days or weeks?

I would lean against treating with any more medicines until you can get a better idea of what you are dealing with. I have created a thread for the mentors/moderators to see, regarding this post, we will have to wait and see what the more experienced people have to say. Sorry!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I found it weird that she's call a 'blue gourami' and she's not blue, that's just how I brought her. I always try to feed a good diet: Flakes, Bloodworms & cooked pea's and i don't have any plants so I don't think it's environmental.

I've got the temp at 30 and I give her a salt bath ever other day aswell as using WC3... It doesn't seem to be getting worst but yet it's not getting better. She's been eating, but looks abit bloated. Should I try a different med or just carry on what i'm doing?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #13

Thank for you reply, I must of written the post at the same time as you.

NB. I brought her as a pair and her partner is the same colour and doing fine.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I'm not good at ID'ing illnesses either. Alot of times when fish have scales missing or something like your Gourami has, its a fungal or bacterial infection. I would try an anti-fungal and an anti-biotic for a week and see how if that helps.

In the mean time, keep the water very clean (every few day water changes when you aren't medicating) and hope it will heal up. The fish still eating is a good sign IMO.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #15

Hear comes a very newbee question... I'm useing the WC3 from King Britsh is this an anti-bacterial/fungel? If not can anyone recommend something good to use. Also will the salt baths be helping her?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

WS3 is used to treat Ick. This will not help you in this situation. It looks like you are going to want to use the No. 10 Methylene Blue 100ml by King British, if that is all you can get.

I would say the salt baths are just stressing her out at this point. I would wait and see how an anti-fungus medication does. If she still appears bloated you may want to try feeding her some blanched peas w/ skin removed.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #17

I can get other makes, i'll just order them on-line. So is King British No10 the best one for me to order?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #18

NEW DEVELOPMENT! I woke up this morning and my little Gourami's disease has got allot worse! I'd stopped the WC3 treatment 2days ago and I was waiting for some Esha 2000 to come in the post. I don't want to risk waiting any longer! My LFS stocks the Interpet rage of treatments (1-10), can some please look at the pictures and tell me which treatment would be best to buy. (Methylene Blue No. 10?). I’m sure your educated guesses are going to be better than mine!

NB. She’s got small patches of scales missing, not just by the gills now! It’s like she’s rotting! I’ve tried taking some more pictures but haven’t been able to yet!

Thanks James
Old 10-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Interpet Anti-Fungus & Bacteria would be the one I'd get. If there are others that have Methylene Blue in it I would get that. These Interpet line of products seem to be aimed at ponds more than aquariums, not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #20

Yeah this is differently a Fungal or Bacterial outbreak. Atleast I believe.. Gourami's really can be beautiful fish. I've kepted tons in the past and plan on getting more. For some reason I love the orange sunset gourami, Which I currectly have. I think I might get a few blue gourami as well...

anyways you should try a few API products.. Thats what I usually use and they're mostly all natural.

I would go with API Pimafix (antifungal fish remedy) and API Melafix (antibacterial fish remedy)

I usually get mine at petsmart- But those are two great products you can actually mix together so if it was either or the other it would work great.

I hope that helps..

Tags
gourami, ick, pictures, sick, sick gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com