SICK gourami >>> PICTURES!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimbob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
XKyQpUhDH2KvYZQTSJyVkQ

Picasa Web Albums - James

If you look behind the gills you can see they've rotted. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks

PS. My LFS said it's 'Hole-in-the-head' and gave me Octozin. I'm abit optimistic that it's something different as i can't find any article's on it effecting gourami's?!? Also something that might be worth noting, the gill damage is only on one-side.

I gave her a salt bath today for 15min (2tbs per gallon). I'm already treating for Ick using King British WS3, Should I stop this and use the Octozin???

HELP

67people have looked at this post, and the pictures are clear.. my Gourami's still sick and I no clue how to treat her.... Any advice would be Helpful.

I'm not that great on FW diseases, and it is kind of tough to see what exactly is going on. If you are seeing gill rot, it sounds more like Sanguinicola (eggs of blood flukes) or a fungal disease (Branchiomyces). Are the filaments falling out of the fish?
On the other hand, is the chlorine in the water or has the pH changed?
Can you get some water test results?

Thanks for you reply, the water conditions are very good;

0.0 ammonia
0.0 nitrite
.10 nitrate
PH hasn't changed and I always use good water conditioner.

As for the fish, I can't see any filaments hanging out, it looks a fairly clean gash. It's strange how it's only on one side?!? Any more suggestions?

Forgive my ignorance here, but what kind of gourami is it? I am trying to see a pic of a healthy one to compare, since I don't really know the natural look of that particular kind....

Dwarf blue Gourami. Type it's into google images and you should find some pics.

Thanks
James

Interesting little fish, they have to breathe from the surface.
I am thinking that is a female from the rounded dorsal fin?
A few things:
Is that the natural color (it looks like it has lost some color)?
If so, do you have plants and did you use ferts/meds or other substances?
Have you varied the diet?
Are the light too bright for that fish and does she have shade?
If not, what I stated above may be the problem. It doesn't look like Hole in the head to me, but I could be wrong.
Hopefully one of our better FW folks can help you better than me.
For the gill stuff, to really ID what is going on requires sample to be checked under a microscope (a good portion of the time).

I am not good at ID'ing FW disease by any means either but that fish is definitely a lot paler looking than it should be. Is she still eating? How long has it been showing symptoms? Days or weeks?

I would lean against treating with any more medicines until you can get a better idea of what you are dealing with. I have created a thread for the mentors/moderators to see, regarding this post, we will have to wait and see what the more experienced people have to say. Sorry!

I found it weird that she's call a 'blue gourami' and she's not blue, that's just how I brought her. I always try to feed a good diet: Flakes, Bloodworms & cooked pea's and i don't have any plants so I don't think it's environmental.

I've got the temp at 30 and I give her a salt bath ever other day aswell as using WC3... It doesn't seem to be getting worst but yet it's not getting better. She's been eating, but looks abit bloated. Should I try a different med or just carry on what i'm doing?

Thank for you reply, I must of written the post at the same time as you.

NB. I brought her as a pair and her partner is the same colour and doing fine.

I'm not good at ID'ing illnesses either. Alot of times when fish have scales missing or something like your Gourami has, its a fungal or bacterial infection. I would try an anti-fungal and an anti-biotic for a week and see how if that helps.

In the mean time, keep the water very clean (every few day water changes when you aren't medicating) and hope it will heal up. The fish still eating is a good sign IMO.

Hear comes a very newbee question... I'm useing the WC3 from King Britsh is this an anti-bacterial/fungel? If not can anyone recommend something good to use. Also will the salt baths be helping her?

WS3 is used to treat Ick. This will not help you in this situation. It looks like you are going to want to use the No. 10 Methylene Blue 100ml by King British, if that is all you can get.

I would say the salt baths are just stressing her out at this point. I would wait and see how an anti-fungus medication does. If she still appears bloated you may want to try feeding her some blanched peas w/ skin removed.

I can get other makes, i'll just order them on-line. So is King British No10 the best one for me to order?

NEW DEVELOPMENT! I woke up this morning and my little Gourami's disease has got allot worse! I'd stopped the WC3 treatment 2days ago and I was waiting for some Esha 2000 to come in the post. I don't want to risk waiting any longer! My LFS stocks the Interpet rage of treatments (1-10), can some please look at the pictures and tell me which treatment would be best to buy. (Methylene Blue No. 10?). I’m sure your educated guesses are going to be better than mine!

NB. She’s got small patches of scales missing, not just by the gills now! It’s like she’s rotting! I’ve tried taking some more pictures but haven’t been able to yet!

Thanks James

Interpet Anti-Fungus & Bacteria would be the one I'd get. If there are others that have Methylene Blue in it I would get that. These Interpet line of products seem to be aimed at ponds more than aquariums, not sure if that makes a difference.

Yeah this is differently a Fungal or Bacterial outbreak. Atleast I believe.. Gourami's really can be beautiful fish. I've kepted tons in the past and plan on getting more. For some reason I love the orange sunset gourami, Which I currectly have. I think I might get a few blue gourami as well...

anyways you should try a few API products.. Thats what I usually use and they're mostly all natural.

I would go with API Pimafix (antifungal fish remedy) and API Melafix (antibacterial fish remedy)

I usually get mine at petsmart- But those are two great products you can actually mix together so if it was either or the other it would work great.

I hope that helps..

Back
Top Bottom