Sick Green spotted puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermatelot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,i have an approximately 18 month old GSP (2 inchesd long) and hes kept in a 20 gallon(UK) brackish tank.temp is 76F,ammonia 0ppm,nitrites 0ppm.He is the only fish in the tank and it is partially weeded with some rocks.
Up until last week he has acted like puffers do,begging food etc.He then became very withdrawn,swam up and down continuously in one corner of the tank and paid no attention to food whatsoever.I feed him on a combination of prawn and fozen blodworm and brine shrimp.
Now he is looking very sorry,he sometimes just 'rests' on top of the heater in between the tank side and the wire and his belly is now a darkish grey.i have not seen him eat at all in the past week but his belly does not seem sunken.I have treated with a multi range antibiotic-aquarium treatment no9 but there has been no improvement.His mouth seems permanently open whilst his inner mouth/beak?? keeps moving up and down.
Has anybody experienced this before?please help if you can.
thankyou.

I can practically see the poor guy now, and it's honestly gut-wrenching. These guys are sooooooooo precious when they are healthy and equally sorrowing when they are on the decline.

I wonder if you ever fed him snails, or anything to help him wear down his beak? Not sure if this would cause such a turn for the worse . . .

Would you happen to have a hydrometer, to measure the specific gravity? That might help.

Also, any aeration on the tank, or what kind of filter?

Sorry, I know this isn't much help but I'm tryin'. . .

EDIT: Holy crap I didn't look at the original post date!!!!! This thread was wayyy dead. HOpe things turned out okay . . .

Well from what I have heard it may just be a problem with my water quality in the QT tank. I only have a 10 gallon with a Marineland Bio-wheel 100 H.O.T. filter. I'm gathering that this may not be enough for filtration. So I purchased an in tank breeder area to put him in hopefully he will feel better.

Back
Top Bottom