Sick guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachelfiona

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have 2 guppies that are at the surface of the tank gasping for air. One is a bit discoloured -yellowish on his back. Both have had what I assume to be poos hanging out of them. One has had this several times over the last week or so. Their gills look red and obvious. I've been wondering for a couple of weeks if their stomachs looked a bit bloated but couldn't decide if they actually were or if I was just being paranoid.
Is there anything I can do to help them?

I know you'll want a bit more information, so:
- 60 litre tank, has been set up for about a year. I've had the guppies for about 6 months.
- I also have 7 neon tetras, who all look healthy (3 were new on Saturday)
- I changed about 50% of the water on Saturday
- I had another guppy which died yesterday. It looked a bit discoloured too (no white spots, just yellowish discolouration)
- I tested the water last night and the readings were 0.5 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate
- I have been feeding a small amount of flake food every other day

Hoping someone can help, or at least tell me what the cause might be and if there's anything I should do differently in the future.

Thanks
Rachel

This sounds as though it might be a parasite, or some sort of internal infection, possibly. Gill flukes can cause red gills and laboured breathing.

If your water params were off, I'd say ammonia toxicity, but it can't be that, obviously.

Are you sure it's poop hanging out and not a worm of some type ? There are worms that can make fish really sick.

Back
Top Bottom