sick guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a female guppy that keeps darting against the live plant in my tank, she has no signs of ich, water levels are normal and doesn't do this to anything in the tank but the live plant. Its not a constant activity just every so often. Is there something I could be missing here is she sick and I don't even know it?

I'm pretty sure she has velvet. I had a LOT of guppies die from it with NO SIGNS except rubbing on the plants. Get a medicine and do a large water change.

Besides the encounter with the plants she doesn't have any of the signs that I've read about, but I'll keep an eye out for anything and do water changes as suggested thanks for responding to my post. Im not fully for sure if she is suck or not, she picks through the plant, chases away any fish that comes near it, picks again then does that whole plant darting thing. Its totally got me confused

Mine did the same thing. Never showed ANY of the other reported signs but died anyway. I lost a few hundred dollars worth of guppies.

Yes, it has a blue color to it that may stain the silicone and other things. You MUST take the plants out.

Copper sulfate will also kill any inverts you have in the tank. If it is just one guppy acting this way, I would treat her in a quarantine tank.

gypsydancer said:
Yes, it has a blue color to it that may stain the silicone and other things. You MUST take the plants out.

The silicone is already blue from ich treatments (before I found alternative methods) so I'm not worried about that, what about my driftwood will it affect that as well?

Copper is notoriously hard to remove from a tank. Traces will remain in porous materials like driftwood, and if you ever wanted to keep shrimp in the tank you could have trouble even months later because of traces of copper. Also, by treating in a quarantine tank, you don't have to treat the whole volume of the display tank, so you can hopefully save a little money, assuming your QT is smaller than the display tank.

Alyxx said:
Copper is notoriously hard to remove from a tank. Traces will remain in porous materials like driftwood, and if you ever wanted to keep shrimp in the tank you could have trouble even months later because of traces of copper. Also, by treating in a quarantine tank, you don't have to treat the whole volume of the display tank, so you can hopefully save a little money, assuming your QT is smaller than the display tank.

I had a QT at one point but that turned into my male tank. I currently have;

29 gallon female tank
10 gallon male tank
10 gallon nursery tank
2 gallon with a female fiddler crab
55 & 75 not up and running yet

I guess I'll have to get a QT up and running again

Same thing happened to my QT, don't feel too bad! Mine now homes a male betta. For small fish like guppies, I've found a 5 gallon makes a good QT.

Since the pwc my guppy has stopped the odd activities but now my platy is doing it! What in the world could be going on? Does this still sound like velvet?

Since the pwc my guppy has stopped the odd activities but now my platy is doing it! What in the world could be going on? Does this still sound like velvet?
Yes, any type fish can get it. Treat all the fish you have in the tank. Namaste, Gypsy

Back
Top Bottom