Sick guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen54

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my male guppys has been developing a bent back, downwards and sideways. Now he seems to have a job swimming properly, but still eats ok. Can i do anything to help him, and what could be the cause of this.
img_2794901_0_c9fe6b3e9da6f1cb7e242098fb894d5a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your Guppy

One of my male guppys has been developing a bent back, downwards and sideways. Now he seems to have a job swimming properly, but still eats ok. Can i do anything to help him, and what could be the cause of this.
img_2794982_0_c9fe6b3e9da6f1cb7e242098fb894d5a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello jen...

I raise Fancy Guppies and sometimes an injury or a slight birth defect can result in a deformity. If the fish appears healthy otherwise, then it will likely live quite a while. Guppies don't live that long, though. I've had some live 18 months, but most hang around about a year.

Keep the water clean with large, frequent water changes. Don't feed very much. A little variety of flakes, frozen and freeze dried food every 2 to 3 days is enough. I like to use a little standard aquarium salt too. I use a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of the new, treated tap water. It seems to keep the fish a bit healthier. Plant their tank really well. Anacharis, hornwort, duckweed, pennywort, anubias, java fern and cryptocoryne are all good ones. Having a lot of plants in the tank makes the fish feel comfortable.

B

Back
Top Bottom