Sick Guppy? And One Dead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppymama

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I'm very new at the keeping fish thing. My three male guppies (well now two :( ) are my first fish. I'm not quite sure how my blue guppy died... I skipped a day of feeding because I wasn't home. My fish are very well fed and I'm sure one day of no feeding didn't kill him. I found my fish at the bottom of the tank under my Whisper 3i filter. He look like he had been hurt. On his underside I found blood... My fish have never been that aggressive. I've seen them chase each other but never attack one another. As for my fancy guppy, after the death of the blue guppy, he seems to be stressed. For a few days he stayed mostly at the bottom of the tank, only coming up for feeding but was never as excited as he used to be about food. He has finally been spending time toward the top but he isn't swimming around a lot or chasing the other fish like he used to. He's also taken more of an interest in food, but he still isn't the same. The levels in my tank seem to be fine. The ammonia level is around .5 though, which I know isn't the greatest. I've been doing water changes to get it down and have been more careful with feeding. Am I doing everything I should? And does anyone know what might have happened to my blue guppy?

Thanks

guppymama said:
Hello,

I'm very new at the keeping fish thing. My three male guppies (well now two :( ) are my first fish. I'm not quite sure how my blue guppy died... I skipped a day of feeding because I wasn't home. My fish are very well fed and I'm sure one day of no feeding didn't kill him. I found my fish at the bottom of the tank under my Whisper 3i filter. He look like he had been hurt. On his underside I found blood... My fish have never been that aggressive. I've seen them chase each other but never attack one another. As for my fancy guppy, after the death of the blue guppy, he seems to be stressed. For a few days he stayed mostly at the bottom of the tank, only coming up for feeding but was never as excited as he used to be about food. He has finally been spending time toward the top but he isn't swimming around a lot or chasing the other fish like he used to. He's also taken more of an interest in food, but he still isn't the same. The levels in my tank seem to be fine. The ammonia level is around .5 though, which I know isn't the greatest. I've been doing water changes to get it down and have been more careful with feeding. Am I doing everything I should? And does anyone know what might have happened to my blue guppy?

Thanks

That's unusual ??!?! I would think he was the weaker one of the three. The ammonia probably didn't help and the other two sensed weakness in him and attacked him.
2 option: he was bullied at the shop and then he wasnt that great when he came to you. Or if there is any sharp , things in the tank he could of caught himself on it. A 3 gallon is also too small for them ... :( :)

Back
Top Bottom