Sick guppy, maybe old age?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angel4335

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
One of my Male guppys didnt come up to eat this morning, and hes not swimming around much, and he seems to be laying on things as apposed to swimming, he seems really weak.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia - 0
nitrite-0
nitrates-5.0
temp- 75or 76

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
10gallons been set up atleast 7 months maybe more

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Theres 3 other smaller males in there. who all seem fine. and a few random pond snails.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Its been awhile usually i do it every week or every other week, but i havent been home much, so it might have been 3-4 weeks. i usually take out about 3 gallons, sometimes more or less depending how dirty things are.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Hes my oldest, hes maybe 2 years old?

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? nope

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Flakes, same food hes been on since we bought him

I think it might just be old age, since we got him and 2 other males at the same time from walmart quite awhile ago. the other 2 have died earlier this year as well, one in january and one in march. So im thinking it might just be his time.. but i'd like to know if theres anything i can do for him.. should i put him in a smaller container? (1/4 -1/2 gallon dish) so he doesnt have to fight currents or anything? or would this stress him more? should i do a water change or something? Or should i just turn off the tank light and let him be?

I wonder would it be bad for the tank to turn the filter off for a few hours?

I have had a couple of male guppies for at least 2 to 2 1/2 years and I don't know how old they were when I got them

Quite possibly old age, especially if it has been kept at high temps. Guppies will live longer kept at 70F than they will at 80F.

Definately do not turn off the filter. Do a water change for starters. It may very well be old age as suggested.

Thought i would come back and let you all know he was dead the next morning, poor lil thing, Im pretty sure it was just old age, since the rest of the fish still look quite healthy, but i will be keeping an extra close eye on the others in that tank for awhile. He was bought from walmart, so he prolly didnt have the strongest genes to begin with, and was an adult when i got him, so he was prolly over 2 years old. I have no idea what the average life span is for a guppy. Thanks for everyones help.

Back
Top Bottom