Sick guppy, new aquarium owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heather_B

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm in urgent need of advice for my guppy
My mum set up a tank about 2 months ago (Jan 18th) and I have been helping her look after it ever since.
I came home today to find one of the guppies very pale, much rounder than usual, "pineconing?" (raised scales) breathing quickly and has a small white trail of poo. She's hiding a lot but will still come to the front when she sees me.
I'm not sure what to do or if I've done something wrong so any advice would be fantastic.

Extra info:
Symptoms - Pale, Possibly bloated, Raised scales, Fast breathing, Fine white poo trails, Hiding by the heater a lot.
Water parameters - 140L tank, pH 7, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0.25, Nitrates 20
Cleaned the external filter yesterday, did not touch the biological trays
I do weekly 25% water changes with fluval water conditioner

About 2 weeks ago my mum ordered some fish in her sleep (yes she does this) which included some Kribensis....2 male and 2 females that became territorial, they were remove 10 days ago after they killed 4 males from other species in the tank.....could this have affected her?

No telling where it comes from.
Dropsy 'pineconing' is just a symptom of some bacterial infection. Often internal. In most cases by the time the symptoms are recognized it is too late to offer a real cure.
Still there is a chance you have a bacterial issue loose in your tank ,so investigating antibiotic type treatments might be wise.

No telling where it comes from.
Dropsy 'pineconing' is just a symptom of some bacterial infection. Often internal. In most cases by the time the symptoms are recognized it is too late to offer a real cure.
Still there is a chance you have a bacterial issue loose in your tank ,so investigating antibiotic type treatments might be wise.
Thanks for the advice I'll get my mum to buy some, is there and meds you'd recommend?

No point in buying meds for dropsy. If anything your best bet is to do more water changes and hope for the best. Especially if you live in the UK where meds can be hard to find. Keep an eye on them for stringy poo or worms coming out their bum.

I've been doing 25% water changes every day and I think it might be helping? She's got some of her colour back and her scales don't seem as raised. I also haven't seen any more of the stringy white poo since the first day she got sick.
I'll keep you guys updated!

Back
Top Bottom