sick guppy with raised scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i got the plastic one with devider its on there site i only paid the 30 odd as a freind picked it up who owed me the money :) its a hard call i say if she eats and swims shes ok

but you never know is she beeing bullied ? segragation may give her a rest

Her scales are a lot more pineconed than my betta was... He didn't do well either... He would swim briefly and then back to gravel...
What was told to me was that he wasn't going to get any better, only worse... In the meantime he was just suffering...
I euthanized him using the cold water method. I filled a container with water and put in freezer.. Stirred it and continually broke thru top layer of ice until it was the consistency of slush...it's super freezing cold and they die quickly... :-(
I'm sorry she's so bad ... Let me know if you need anything..

sounds like a horid way to die for a tropical fish clove oil and vodka sounds a better way as the fish is asleep first and not sent into a state of shock

o5otato5o said:
sounds like a horid way to die for a tropical fish clove oil and vodka sounds a better way as the fish is asleep first and not sent into a state of shock

I've unfortunately had to euthanize two and after much research I'm to understand the shock of the extreme cold shuts their systems down instantly.
For warm water fish, use cold method... Cold water fish use hot boiling water method.
I've read on the clove oil and vodka also but it seems to be a more expensive way to get to the same result with no/minimal pain in both methods.

There comes a time in every aquarist's life when a fish that can no longer recover from disease or injury must be euthanized. This is no easy task, but it can be done humanely and peacefully without stress to fish or aquarist. The best method is a two-step process. First, anesthetize the fish with clove oil so that it is sleeping and unable to feel pain; then introduce a clear grain alcohol like vodka to ensure the fish will not wake up.
This method is commonly misrepresented as mixing clove oil and vodka together. That is incorrect. Clove oil must be introduced first, allowing the fish to fall asleep before introducing vodka. Vodka will be stressful for a fish that is not anesthetized.

source:wisegeek.com

As long as it is instant, it is humane. Small fish use frozen or boiling water. Larger fish use blunt force trauma. I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into a debate about it.

I didnt euthanise her afterall. she has been on the gravel all day. She just wiggled her way between two plants and died almost straight after... Poor fish.. Least i know what to watch out for now. I mistook her swelling for her being pregnant, she seemed to be all the time.

Thanks for all your help and advice

lornajane89 said:
I didnt euthanise her afterall. she has been on the gravel all day. She just wiggled her way between two plants and died almost straight after... Poor fish.. Least i know what to watch out for now. I mistook her swelling for her being pregnant, she seemed to be all the time.

Thanks for all your help and advice

I'm sorry for your loss.. :-(

I am sorry that she didn't make it; you did a very good job taking care of her though

Back
Top Bottom