Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

sick guppy with raised scales

Hi all like in the title, i have a female guppy that has gone very pale and has raised all her scales. I tried to get a picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120126_083404.jpg
Views:	4256
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	73192

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120126_083506.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	73193

She is my biggest girl and has the most fry. She is swimming around and eating ok. Any ideas what might be up with her?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Oh dear. That's dropsy. Once they are pineconeing there isn't much you can do. I'm sorry.
Dropsy
Pathogen/Cause: Various organisms (nonspecific), poor water quality.
Physical Signs: Bloated appearence with scales that stick out like a pine cone. Best viewed from above. Dropsy is not really a specific pathologic entity, it is to describe a general condition of fluid accumulation in the internal body cavity, which has many causes. Dropsy usually signals internal infection and multiple organ failure. It can be compared to ascites in humans in end stage kidney failure.
Behavioral Signs: Lethargy, lack of appetite, grave constitutional signs.
Potential Treatment: Unfortunately, dropsy is *usually* incurable and fatal; however, in rare cases, spontaneous recovery may occur. A strong antibiotic such as kanamycin sulfate can be tried, but because it is an internal infection, usually it does little good.
Other Notes: Take measures to improve water quality immediately. Fortunately, it is not highly contagious.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_...on.html#Dropsy

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

o man thats bad
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Big water change now then. Is like 80% ok to change or is that too much
Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

80% fine as long as the temperature is the same.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dropsy; I lost one fish from that. I tried antibiotics but she ended up dying a few days later. I am sorry :/

Dropsy is hard to cure, but maintaining a good temperature and
water change is excellent

Prior to using the medication Mumma recommended add a cap full of voogle first aid to each 10G of water; it will aid in boosting all fish immune systems and is safe for invertebrates, corals, shrimps, good bacteria and doesn't hurt plants

Let me know how everything turns out please
Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Never heard of voogle ill look it up.
Did an 80% change and gave her a salt bath. I kno its not a cure but it might help her swelling. Shes still swimming about and eating ok so will see how things go but like u said i think she is more than likely gonna die. No other fish seem affected. Ill do another 50% pwc tomorrow and do 25% changes every other day after that for a while.

I dont want to lose any more fish we have been doing well for ages and yesterday my butterfly fish died (in a different tank) i think from eating too many crickets, now this... Its a little disheartening but im too persistant to give up lol

Thanks again for the advice and info. Special thanks to mumma of 2, u always seem be extremely helpful in almost every thread ive started
Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Glad to help good luck with your little guy.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Voogle is a special mineral and imuunity enhancer that helps sick fish ad can help cure cuts on injured fish; no need to change the water after using it ewither as it naturally biodegrades into aquarium plants and can be administered once a week (with water change is more effective)
Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

That sounds good ill have to see if any nearby lfs sell it. Ill keep u posted if anything changes but its hard to be optimistic after the info above. So far my sick fish fatality rate is 100% my guppy with the mystery red spot just vanished in the end. Checked my filters and stuff and couldnt find him. My worry was if my loaches ate him and caught whatever he had.

My butterfly that wudnt eat never ate again... and my cory with the swim bladder infection didnt last a week. Oh and i had a neon with popeye which died 2 days after he was bought.... Ive only been keeping fish for 6 months .....
Old 01-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornajane89 View Post
That sounds good ill have to see if any nearby lfs sell it. Ill keep u posted if anything changes but its hard to be optimistic after the info above. So far my sick fish fatality rate is 100% my guppy with the mystery red spot just vanished in the end. Checked my filters and stuff and couldnt find him. My worry was if my loaches ate him and caught whatever he had.

My butterfly that wudnt eat never ate again... and my cory with the swim bladder infection didnt last a week. Oh and i had a neon with popeye which died 2 days after he was bought.... Ive only been keeping fish for 6 months .....
It is tough, I had to learn everything the hard way before I was able to keep fish. With the forums behind you, we will do the best to help you with anything you need

I lost 12 fish until I learned what it meant to keep fish alive but now I have had betta's for over a year, tetras who live and have bred for 2+, and I train them too n.n it is all with knowledge, patience and understanding

I wish you the best and hope to see your friend get better
Old 01-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
I'm sorry about your guppy... I'm about to euthanize a betta who has the same thing. He was in a small bowl with fin rot before i was able to rescue him and put him in a tank.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
I'm sorry about your guppy... I'm about to euthanize a betta who has the same thing. He was in a small bowl with fin rot before i was able to rescue him and put him in a tank.
---
I saw that board :/ I am sorry about your fish and wish I knew sooner, there are many remedies to avoid it, especially with tank transfers
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

they have voogle on ebay but not cheap
Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy S
---
I saw that board :/ I am sorry about your fish and wish I knew sooner, there are many remedies to avoid it, especially with tank transfers
He was in the care of someone else for all of last year and she left him in a bowl with no heater or filter and let him remain there with fin rot for 4 mths... His fins grew back and I put him in 20g.. He was happy and swimming all over and then suddenly hiding... And pineconed within 1 day
Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by o5otato5o View Post
they have voogle on ebay but not cheap
--
Yeah :/ Some LFS sell smaller bottles for 14.99; I had purchased a 16 oz for about that much
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
He was in the care of someone else for all of last year and she left him in a bowl with no heater or filter and let him remain there with fin rot for 4 mths... His fins grew back and I put him in 20g.. He was happy and swimming all over and then suddenly hiding... And pineconed within 1 day
--
Sadly dropsy can be so fast acting it will happen withiin days, maybe hours. I lost my first ever goldfish that way, and I was 10 so I had no idea what happened If I knew of these forums and how you can medically try to help I am sure it would have worked out better....which is why I try to help

If voogle is too expensive try Aquarium salt; it is cheaper and tends to help calm a fish down to slow the process.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
That's interesting, I've recently started breeding guppies and had about five fish total show these symptoms and shortly thereafter take the porcelain roller coaster. Now I know what it was, it started to show within a day or two after purchasing the fish. I have now bought a total of 10 guppies and the other five are fine.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
That's interesting, I've recently started breeding guppies and had about five fish total show these symptoms and shortly thereafter take the porcelain roller coaster. Now I know what it was, it started to show within a day or two after purchasing the fish. I have now bought a total of 10 guppies and the other five are fine.
---
I breed tetra's those guys are really hardy and such, though I have had one successful fry group (only 3 lived -_-;; ) mature into adults but hey it was my second time so...lol

Dropsy is actually quite common in goldfish and guppies believe it or not; though Dropsy is one of the diseases that don't spread as fast or easily it can take you by surprise. Dropsy is actually not an illness itself but a bacterial infection inside the fish caused by one or more unknown source. It creates fluid buildup which is why it is tough to cure, and normally only occurs in fish weakened by stress or injury
Old 01-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well she is still with me. i gave her a 20 min salt bath yesterday with aquarium salts and will do the same again after another PWC. Her pineconing seems to have gone down a little since yesterday but is still visible. I shall persivere and hope for the best so far all my other guppys or other fish arent showing any signs of illness.

Feel a bit dumb now cause i noticed her going pale a while ago but with her constant pregnancy i assumed it was normal and she was just filling out for more fry. Least i know what to watch out for in future

Tags
guppy, ick, scales, sick, sick guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com