Sick Hemi, nothing seems to work! (Feeding issue?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hemigal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here's the stats:
1 Hemi Bi female, alone, possible ammonia burn no signs (no redness)
20 gallon tank
Penguin Biowheel 200, recently installed after smaller Aquaclear wasn't doing the job
Recently cycled 1 1/2 month old tank
Ammonia= none
Nitrites = none
Nitrates= less than 0.05 ppm
Temp 78f
Hardness= 120
pH= 7.9-8.0
Chlorine levels minimum due to treatment of water.
No chloramines added in my town.

So...Hemi female is listless, lethargic, and hanging in a top corner of the tank. Not breathing heavy, not gasping. She occasionally does a run around the tank, sometimes scratching for a brief moment on a smooth rock. (not scratching constantly - only occasionally, 1 time per 2 days). Eats like a pig.
After I installed the Penguin she became very active - I took this as a sign that the water quality had gone up enough to afford her relief.

She remained active, begged for food, but upon feeding (color pellets she likes) she became lethargic again in an instant and ran back to her corner. No change since then. Have ceased feeding color food and abstained from feeding for 24 hours. Fed one flake, and she came out of her hole for a moment, ate, and when back to the corner again.

Some color change - paler, her front head spot and middle spot are not dark enough. Black color showing on head refers to stress. When she perks up, black goes away, color spots brighten.

I'm at my wits end with her. She is active as hell when fed, and otherwise sits staring out of the tank like she feels trapped. We have a light in the kitchen which she seems to be interested in - I'm thinking it might be interuppting her sleep, so we've covered the tank to let her rest up.

Any suggestions?

Hemigal....

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

I'm guessing you're referring to Hemichromis bimaculatus one of the West African Jewel Cichlids (the only other thing I could think of right off besides a Hemichromis species is one of the Hemiodus). The symptoms you're describing (especially the listnessness and occasional 'scratching') could be signs of some sort of fluke or other parasite. If things don't improve you might consider a treatment regimen with Jungle Parasite Clear. This is a good, all-purpose medication for non-protozoan parasites including copepods (like 'fish lice' and 'anchor worms'), flukes and even roundworms and tapeworms.

Good luck!

-Joe

I read the description on the Jungle Parasite Clear (in an advert on the web): One question: Will it affect the biofilter, and should I remove my wheel and any biomaterial before treating?
Oh, and thank you very, very, much for your reply. :)

Jungle Parasite Clear does contain acriflavine which can affect your biofilter but not excessively so. I've used that product in a number of my aquariums without experiencing any sort of mini-cycle.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom