sick keyhole cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piranha

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my five keyholes is sick. Labored breathing, sluggish, staying in one place long periods of time. He now is getting clamped fins. Does anyone know what it could be and the best way to treat it. I've done a 50 percent water change so far and used eurythromicin.

move him to quarentine if you can to keep the others from getting whatever he has.

What size tank and what are your parameters? The symptoms you are describing can be for a variety of illnesses. I would test the parameters and keep doing water changes if anything is out of whack. Also you could try increasing the aeration in the tank and see if that helps.

Does he have any external signs of illness not mentioned?

zagz All the parameters are good except for one you mentioned that which I have not checked yet, oxygen levels. Going to check now. I do have a suspicion that is the problem. The tank is a 30 extra high filled with two huge amazon swords. Maybe it's possible oxygen levels are getting too low in the evening hours? If so do you think an airstone might be of help? I forgot to mention his scales were a extending outward a bit.

I would add an airstone as a precaution. If the scales are sticking out like a pinecone it might be dropsy.

Back
Top Bottom