Sick kisser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I put my mollies and my neons and my hatchet fish in the big tank today and took out the little kisser. The big one was still after it and it just hasnt been acting right. I switched him to the qtank and he died...sorta....wouldnt move....took him back and put him back in the other tank.....wouldnt move....took him to the qtank and dipped him in and out by holding him in my hand and finally he came around some.....wont eat....bloodworms,flakes or baby shrimp......then I was going to test the water and he was sucked to the filter....had to stick my hand in and pull him loose!!!! I dont know about me and fish....they jump out of the tank or they croak on me!!!! I just want this one to start eating. Could there be something else wrong with him and that is the reason he doesnt want to eat?I just dont want him to die. He's a cute little guy. Any ideas of what might be wrong or what I could do to get him to eat.

Thanks guys

If you can (I dunno if its too late tonite to get there) grab some sponge filter stuff from the lfs and use it to cover the intake to the filter so he doesn't get sucked up onto it. I hate to say it, but things look kinda grim. Maybe its just shock, but he should have recovered quicker and shouldn't have been weak enough to get stuck to the intake. I'd keep the tank dark and quiet, and the water clean as possible. I wouldn't worry about him eating quite yet; if he makes it thru the night, try either soaking some dried fish food in some garlic oil (like the stuff you squeeze out of garlic gel pills) or even try a dropper and place the food right in his mouth.

I turned the lights out earlier. I figured that would be best for him. He seems to be staying far away from the intake now. I guess he knows now that he cant go over there. I just hope he makes it. The water is good and clean. I made sure of that. I did about a 30% change a few hrs ago to maybe give him a better chance. I tried a minute ago to get him to eat and he wanted nothing to do with it. Lets hope he hangs on and decides to eat tomorrow. I should have taken him out awhile back instead of waiting till I could get the other fish out of the qtank before putting him in. As always I learn the hard way. But I havent given up hope yet. I hang in there pretty good with my guys.

Well my little fishy passed away....got sucked to the filter thing. I couldnt get out to get anything to put over it because my back has been out. I knew he wasnt going to last.Poor thing. But I would rather him go than be sick.

Sorry for your loss. I almost lost my Pink kisser this past week from my 75 gallon's ammonia spike, but he's come out of it quite alive and seemingly unharmed.. Only one of 3 fish to survive so very hardy.

I highly suggest if you plan to replace him, get two other gouramis of the 4inch variety to keep him company. I've heard the pink kissers can be aggressive to each other, and they grow 8 to 12 inches besides. Get a gold and opaline gourami :p :p

I dont think that I will get another kisser. I have one that is about 2 yrs old and that is why I took it out of the bigger tank because he wouldnt let it eat. I am wanting to get some dwarf gourami and maybe some neons. I want to get something that adds some color to the tank and I think some more neons would be nice. I just want something that isnt agressive but colorful.

My suggestions would be some of the smaller gouramis (Opaline, Blue paradise, the various dwarves) or definately more Neons. Your signature says you only have 3, and I think they'd be a lot happier if you bumped that number to 6 or 8.

I think that I will more than likely get more neons and I might even get a couple of gourami. I have one paradise fish and he likes to pick on everyone in the tank but the good thing is too they give him a run for his money. He doesnt get away with much these days! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom