Sick Krib, help! (caught dropsy early on)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just feeding my fish and noticed one of my kribs was MIA.

I found her, very pale, in the back of the tank. I scooped her up with the net and on closer inspection I noticed all her scales are "extended"... it reminds me of a puffer puffing, or a cat's hair standing on end. Also, her mouth is open like it's stuck. Its not stuck, I checked, I just thought this was odd.

I need to QT her but my extra filter is broken. So my option is to put my little goldfish in my 75gal for the time being (with angels, serpaes, rtb shark and golden barbs) and put this krib in my 29gal and medicate.
Do you think thats a good option?
What should I do in terms of medicating?

Also, what is wrong with my fish? I'm going to do a quick search cuz Ithink I know what the problem is called, but I figured someone might be able to tell me quicker than I can find it.

EDIT-
It's dropsy.

I forgot to mention that she is also displaying slight pop eye in both eyes.
I went ahead and moved her to my 29gal, and put my goldie in my 75gal.
I added melafix to the tank and upped the temperature.
I really think I caught this early on, is there anything I should do/buy to treat her with?

I am not sure about the barbs...they might gang up on the goldie...anything you can put the goldfish in for right now, ie a bowl or anything temporary till you can get to the store?

Ok, treating...temp neads to go up...to 84-86 degrees. A medicine like Maracyn-Two or medicated foods should be purchased immediately. Dosing epsom salts may also help with the bloating - 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gallons - this will help to draw some of the fluid out of your fish.

You also need to check the params of your tank immediately. Dropsy isn't really very contagious, however, it is sometimes the sign of something wrong with the water conditions.

Thanks!!

I went and got Maracyn-two this morning as well as some more aquarium salt. I dosed the tank and upped the temperature.

Ugh, its going to be expensive to dose a 29gal QT tank, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

My goldie seems to be okay in the 75gal, no one is bothering him.

My krib seems about the same as she was last night. She still has some color but seems a little more lethargic. I don't think she is any worse, tho.

I said "epsom salt" at the fish store and she directed me to the aquarium salt. So now there is a ton of aquarium salt in there (well, the suggested amount).

Hmm what should I do? Because with the meds I have in there now, it wouldn't be good to do a water change

Aquarium salt can make it harder for the fluid to be drawn out of the fish. Epsom salt can be found at any drug store or walmart. You may be forced to do a water change if the fish doesn't do any better overnight.

Yes, I would recommend a water change maybe before the second dose?? I got mine at a drugstore.

Crap crap crap. That stinks.

Well, dosing a 29gal, (or re-dosing) is going to be costly.

So, should I move her over to the 10gal tank, add the 29gal tank filter (its not set up at all), and then re-dose and THEN get some epsom salt?? Because I have enough tablets to redose the 10 gal.. but not to do a water change and dose the 29gal.

I would do that. Redose the 10 gallon and add in the filter. And yes, get epsom salts. And while you are at walmart (if that is where you'd like to go ;) ) get some Jungle Fungus Clear Tablets.

Dropsy is either caused by poor water conditions, bacterial infection, OR fungal infection. In the 3 times I've had to treat it it's been because of a fungal infection and the maracyn-two did nothing at all. Just a heads up. If she doesn't perk up with the new addition of maracyn-two, I would do a water change and add the fungus clear.

Oh, you'll find the epsom salts in the pharmacy section of the store.

Fortunatly I already have some of that jungle buddies stuff, so all I need to do is run up to wal-greens of CVS and get some salt.

She isn't looking any better BUT at the same time... she isn't looking that much worse. She is really hanging in there.

Time to go set up the 10gal tank

~*~*~*~*~ EDIT ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

10 gal tank- check
De-chlor- Check
Filter- check
Heater- check
Air stone- check
Epsom salt- check
Maracyn-two - Check
Fungus Clear- Check
Fish- check

So I set up the 10gal QT tank and just "started over." I really, really, really, hope this works. She is SUCH a trooper. She is still able to swim around, even though she chooses not to, but her color is a little bit more faded and the swelling hasn't gone down any.
However, with the fungus clear and the epsom salt, lets all hope she pulls through =o)

You guys are wonderful, I don't know where I would be with out ya!

I am so devistated.

We left for Stephens parents house, and when we got back.. we couldn't find her. We looked in the filter, on the floor, on the counter.. and then I realized she got sucked up into the filter intake because stupid me didn't put the guard on. The filter tube for the 29gal was too long on the 10gal, and with out thinking I popped off the guard to make the tube fit.

*sigh*

lyquidphyre,

I know I am a little late on this one, but don't beat yourself up too badly. Usually when a fish is so weak that it can't keep from getting sucked into a filter inflow, it is already at death's door. There was probably nothing you could do. I have had the same experience, though, so now I use sponge filters in QT. :(

-Kilgore

Back
Top Bottom