sick molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey y'all,
My black molly stopped eating with the other fish a few days ago, although he would eat by himself. Then, it was as if his back half stopped working. The only fins he's using are the pectoral fins (by the gills), and his back half is hanging down, almost vertically. He also has a teeny white speck in each eye, like a pin hole size. He's in the qt now, and lays on the plants to rest. Any ideas on what to treat for?? No other fish in the big tank are showing any symptoms. I've had him for 4 months. Water parameters in both tank are nh3 0 no2 0 no3 10.
Big tank: 90 long acrylic
78 degrees
very lightly planted
5 3" cl. loaches
6 dwf. gour's
4 platty's
8 neon's
3 oto's
QT: 10 gallon fully cycled
78 degrees
TIA, Farmgirl

Does the molly have any discoloration on the unmoving part of his body? I've had 2 black mollies do this and despite my best efforts neither made it. I wish I had an answer for you. I don't know what to advise to treat for. You could try some Maracyn as it does treat a varitey of illnesses.

No discoloration, I don't wonder if this is something specific to the type of fish, as this is also not the first black molly this has happened to. I originally had a pair of these, but the first one died within a week of bringing them home. I will just make him as comfy as possible. :( Thanks.

I know how you feel and from my experience it does happen with black mollies. Maybe you will be luckier than I was.

I have a dalmation molly that is just the same! Her back end seems like it just doesn't work most of the time. She is also rather thin, yet eats as much as she can seem to get. I wonder if it is a spinal deformity? Or, I have a really mean silver molly that seems pushy, could she have hurt her? Mine has been like this for about 3 weeks. I keep expecting to wake up find her gone, yet she is the first to greet me in the morning. She is super friendly and tries to get in my hand when I am getting vials of water for testing too :( I hope Dot and your molly survive.

Thanks, I also keep expecting him to be gone. I've been feeding him the last few days by hand, (yes, very clean hands!!) Makes you wonder if this boils down to too much inbreeding, as they tend to do with dogs. I'll say a little prayer for Dot.
Farmgirl out.

I had a female molly that had similar symptoms except that she didn't tip upwards that I can remember. She was pregnant and after delivering her fry she just totally shut down. She sat by herself, didn't swim and didn't eat... I remember looking up something on it and I think it was something that was common in mollies but I don't know. I think it was some kind if bacterial infection. HTH

I've read that mollies are the most sensitive of the live bearers. If anything is "off" in the tank, they are the 1st to become ill. I found that true in our case. The best thing I've found to keep them healthy is to stay current with PWC, keep temp at 80 & water alkaline. Also, they really need an algae tablet because they are primarily vegetarian, although they do chow down on flakes & shrimp!

Well, I think this is it. He's hanging out on the bottom, Just kind of skootching around. He still wants to eat, so I've been feeding by hand still, although I don't expect him to make it through the night. Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate it.
RIP Mr. Molly.

How in the world do you feed a molly by hand? Do you mean with lettuce or boiled spinach that I've heard recommended. Mine never touched the stuff. Just clouded up the water...

Just as it sounds. I just held a few flakes between my fingers right in front of his face, and he would eat them. Surely i'm not the only one who has done this???????????????????????
Farmgirl out.

Back
Top Bottom