Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick Molly? Maybe due to a change in substrate

I have a 20 gallon tank which has been running for about a month now.
Temp - 78
pH - 68
GH - 0
KH - 240
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
Ammonia - 0
3 Rasbora, 4 Platy, 1 Black Molly, 1 Corey Catfish, 1 Plecostomus (Algae Eater)

Yesterday I changed the substrate from gravel to sand and since then the black molly has been sitting on the bottom and is very inactive. Usually he is in the middle or top of the tank and I can't figure out what is wrong with him. I feed them this morning and he came up to eat but then went back down and sat on the sand. Could he be stressed from the change in substrate? Could he be sick?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Hi and welcome!
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Please read this ^^^
If the tank has been only running for a month I would assume ammonia or nitrite poisoning.
What are you using to test the water? If it is strips they are rubbish and can give highly inaccurate readings. I'd suggest a large water change to see if he/she livens up a bit.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #3

Thanks for your help. I do have those test strips and now your are the second person I've heard from about how inaccurate they are. My next stop at the store will be buying a better test kit. The pH test tho is in a test tube with a test solution, so I believe that to be correct. And as far as the ammonia I have a 4-6 week gauge that hangs on tank.

Yesterday I did a rather large water change when I took the gravel out before adding the sand. Added all the chemicals that I usually do and changed the water filter cartridge. Is another water change necessary?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_tide
Thanks for your help. I do have those test strips and now your are the second person I've heard from about how inaccurate they are. My next stop at the store will be buying a better test kit. The pH test tho is in a test tube with a test solution, so I believe that to be correct. And as far as the ammonia I have a 4-6 week gauge that hangs on tank.

Yesterday I did a rather large water change when I took the gravel out before adding the sand. Added all the chemicals that I usually do and changed the water filter cartridge. Is another water change necessary?
Those stick on ammonia thingies are inaccurate too I'm afraid. I'd suggest purchasing an API master test kit (liquid).

Changing the gravel and the filter cartridge would have set your cycle back significantly. Never change the cartridge. That is where most of the bacteria grows that is needed to keep a tank cycled. Instead just swish it in a bucket of tank water to clean.

What chemicals are you adding?
The only thing you need to add is something that dechlorinates.

If I fish is acting odd a water change is best.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

When I change that water I added the dechiorinates and I also add stress coat, and proper pH 7.0. And I will change the water shortly
Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_tide
When I change that water I added the dechiorinates and I also add stress coat, and proper pH 7.0. And I will change the water shortly
Ok don't mess with the pH. Fish can adapt to different pH as long as its stable. PH chemicals cause drastic changes in pH and this can make fish stressed, ill or die. No need for any stress coats either. Just use one product that dechlorinates.

Tags
change, ick, molly, sick, sick molly, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com