Sick Molly? Maybe due to a change in substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

red_tide

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank which has been running for about a month now.
Temp - 78
pH - 68
GH - 0
KH - 240
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
Ammonia - 0
3 Rasbora, 4 Platy, 1 Black Molly, 1 Corey Catfish, 1 Plecostomus (Algae Eater)

Yesterday I changed the substrate from gravel to sand and since then the black molly has been sitting on the bottom and is very inactive. Usually he is in the middle or top of the tank and I can't figure out what is wrong with him. I feed them this morning and he came up to eat but then went back down and sat on the sand. Could he be stressed from the change in substrate? Could he be sick?

Thanks for your help. I do have those test strips and now your are the second person I've heard from about how inaccurate they are. My next stop at the store will be buying a better test kit. The pH test tho is in a test tube with a test solution, so I believe that to be correct. And as far as the ammonia I have a 4-6 week gauge that hangs on tank.

Yesterday I did a rather large water change when I took the gravel out before adding the sand. Added all the chemicals that I usually do and changed the water filter cartridge. Is another water change necessary?

red_tide said:
Thanks for your help. I do have those test strips and now your are the second person I've heard from about how inaccurate they are. My next stop at the store will be buying a better test kit. The pH test tho is in a test tube with a test solution, so I believe that to be correct. And as far as the ammonia I have a 4-6 week gauge that hangs on tank.

Yesterday I did a rather large water change when I took the gravel out before adding the sand. Added all the chemicals that I usually do and changed the water filter cartridge. Is another water change necessary?

Those stick on ammonia thingies are inaccurate too I'm afraid. I'd suggest purchasing an API master test kit (liquid).

Changing the gravel and the filter cartridge would have set your cycle back significantly. Never change the cartridge. That is where most of the bacteria grows that is needed to keep a tank cycled. Instead just swish it in a bucket of tank water to clean.

What chemicals are you adding?
The only thing you need to add is something that dechlorinates.

If I fish is acting odd a water change is best.

When I change that water I added the dechiorinates and I also add stress coat, and proper pH 7.0. And I will change the water shortly:thanks:

red_tide said:
When I change that water I added the dechiorinates and I also add stress coat, and proper pH 7.0. And I will change the water shortly:thanks:

Ok don't mess with the pH. Fish can adapt to different pH as long as its stable. PH chemicals cause drastic changes in pH and this can make fish stressed, ill or die. No need for any stress coats either. Just use one product that dechlorinates.

Back
Top Bottom