sick moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nadineinvanisle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a black moor that used to be with another. He got sick and the other one bullied him so I separated them. He is now better but he has not grown at all and it is months later.I would really like to get him a friend but fear he will again be bullied. Is there a small cold water fish that will be his friend and not over power and bully him?

Hi! Welcome to AA!! About the only fish you could put with him would be some white cloud minnows (after being properly qt'd) if your tank is of sufficent size to handle more fish.

I am very concerned, however, that he has not grown at all. What size tank is he in? What are the water parameters in this tank (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)? What is your water change schedule (%/#wk)? What do you normally feed (type of food, anything else) and how often? Thanks!

Thank you for responding. I must admit that I am not truly on top of the water changes or on a schedule. However we are on top of the angels and do check the others at the same time and change the water on a need to basis. The last time we checked the levels were the n3=40, n2=0 Ph=6.8-7.2 and proceeded to do a 25%. But now that you asked about water it got me thinking. In the beginning he had fungus and we treated him for that twice. And I read somewhere to turn the water temperature up. So he was in the low 70'a for a while. He recovered and started swimming around with happiness and energy. His fins have started growing back but is still one third the size of the other one which were purchased at the same time. He has since been moved to a new tank with no heater and still seems quite happy. I just think he's lonely but deserves a friend. He is the only fish I have all by himself.

Thank you once again but now I'm confused and stressed. Every where I googled told me lower water temps for moors. That's why I moved him to an unheated tank. However this is why I joined this group because it seemed that various sites had different info. He is in a 10 gallon and I also have 4 ryukins and the other moor in a 20 gallon and they are fine. That link you sent me calls for a lot more than that but also says for breeding. I am not breeding. Should I still follow that? Also I was feeding him drop pellets but he wouldn't eat them so I went to flakes. I recently have been trying to get him back on drop pellets. I believe they are good quality foods with fish meal being the first and main ingredients. Or am I wrong there a well?

Ideal temps are 68-74 for fancies. How low are the temps in your tanks? For feeding, fancies need more than 'just a pinch' of food. A pinch is a starvation diet. They should be fed atleast 2-3x a day with smaller meals spread out through the day and lots daily veggies. A quality sinking goldfish food such as Hikari Saki/Lionhead, NLS or ProGold are decent brands. Another option is buying gelfood or making your own.

In respect to your tank situation, consideration should be taken to upgrading their tank sizes. The bare minimum rule for fancies is 20g for one fish with additional 10-20g for each additional fish. By having adequate water, you will avoid issues with water quality, aggression, stunting and related health issues. Fancies have the potential to grow much larger than most people realize. :)

I have a 55 that my angels were in and have since paired off. I hope that would suffice. I was trying to join that link you sent and but wouldn't allow on my phone. I want to know more about my angels because the 6 pairs are all in 29 high and perhaps I could put a pair in the 20 and split the fancies up in the 55 and 29? I haven't found that info as of yet. All I have read that they should be in a 20 high but out is not high. Geesh I thought I was on the right track!

I am sorry I cant offer you more advice on your angels! Fancies are my thing. Perhaps, you can ask a question about your angels in 'general discussion' to receive help from members with angel experience. :)

Back
Top Bottom