Sick native fish - please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello I deleted that post ! I realized that afterwards. So i know. I wonder why it still posted it ? Well anyways no hard feelings. Guess iam fished stressed.lol So is it ok to treat this ich with a heater and salt then ?

Ok I have a 40gal tank. My sons friend gave me this came and set it up it has 2 bluegills/sunfish 1 is 4 years old 1 is 2,i have i small albino cat, i small placo. Dont know how old they are was given to me. I also added a bala shark which iam told was wrong.got it. Before i had bought a goldfish/koi. and another larger placo. After that my 2 sunfish have gotten a cottony filmy grayish whitish coat they are not eating and really lathargic. 2 year old looks like hes swimming sideways. I have changed the subturate to rocks instead of gravel thought that would help get rid of whatever this is. Have treated with rid-rich was told to stop. I have taken the koi and placo out cuz they died. I clean the tank everyday and do up to 50% water change also. My nitrates i have gotten down with prime and water changes. My ph is 7.5 nitates were 80 and nitrites 0 . I use well water. Also have a aqueon 50/75 I have also added live plants to help lower nitrates. What i would like to know is what treatment do i give them as i get no response. Have been asking since friday and even upgraded my staus on here. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what to do ? Aqarium salt and heat ?. Please there not doing well. Iam new to this hobby : )

Last edited:
I think jetajockey has explained the best course of action. I am not sure what else you are looking for? There aren't any magical cures unfortunately. The fish you have simply aren't compatible and need more space. Water changes and rehoming the fish are about the only options I see at this point.

There could be other diseases at play but tough to tell at this point and just dumping in a ton of meds would not be advisable.

About the only other thing is you could treat with erythromycin as a catch all since it is an antibiotic but there are no guarantees it will help.

Last edited:
:angel:I thank you fort384 and jetajocket for all your help !! I do mean this..I was confused as to the treatment wasnt for attacking the disease to cure them. I just dont want them to die. So i took jetejockeys advice did a 25% change of water added a little of prime and will keep it up till they get better !!! Thanks again!!! Except my apology :banghead: Hope you both have a wonderful night and rest of the week !!!

Back
Top Bottom