Sick old fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul N

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This post may surprise some. I have a 26 year old Red Devil. Lived by his/her self in. 65 gallon tank. Survived 3 moves and been around longer then any girl I have known romantically.

The last two years I've had to bring food close up to his mouth to get him to eat. I suspect like an old person his sight was going? Just a guess. About a month ago he starting laying on his side and kind of no longer being aware of my presence for example. I did a clean up used combination of pimafix and melafix and a few days later he seemed to come around for a few weeks. But sadly he is back laying down. Not really breathing heavy but I notice his eyes twitch quickly. Plus now he takes in food but spits it out. Again seems to not fully respond in the ways I was used too.

Apart from the obvious does anyone agree with me this just might be old age and the natural end or do I have a chance trying something else?

I don't have a test kit I had him pretty healthy for all that time just doing regular maint. I have 3 filters on the tank. Always have. I have replaced 25 % of the water and use ammo/carb ,use a few drops of "Prime" with water changes. I vacuum the gravel a lot each time I do a partial water change. The water is a little cloudy still from the pimmafix treatments.

Just throwing it out there for some ideas to try. Just going to be weird without him after this long if I can't help him out. Thanks all.

I'm sorry, it sounds like he's just really old. I think he's almost doubled the average lifespan.

Welcome to AA, Paul!!!

What an amazing tale! I am very sorry to hear your buddy is not doing very well but it honestly sounds like you have been doing a great job taking care of him through the years and his age is testament to this alone. :)

What you are describing in respect to vision, feeding habits and activity honestly sounds like old age but I do not personally keep this species of fish.

Hopefully, some keepers with experience with these guys will chime in with their thoughts and advice. If you are seeking something that may help a bit in respect to digestive issues and poor feeding, I have had generally positive results treating with metro. However, I am of the opinion he has had a wonderful, long life and that perhaps this should be sufficient in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Under studying here. It does sound a great life.

It could be worthwhile getting the water checked at a lfs just in case as well. Liquid based tests for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. I'd be amazed if it did show anything but there have been a few threads lately with suddenly bad tap water supplies so just in case.

How's he doing?

Not so good but still hanging in. I appreciate everyone's comments and concern here.
I went to aquarium services tonight and read the info on the bottle of "Metro". Not sure if that is the right product. Their other broad spectrum one seemed more suited but if no longer eating... Hard to mix on food. Tried some "aquarium salt" the last few days as well.

I have had fish pass before so I know kind of how the end is. I was just hoping just in this case for a bit of a miracle. It's been kind of special having him that long and this is the first time he has been sick. I wonder what his age in "people" years is?

Just an update.
My fish is still alive. It lays on its side all the time. Moves around on its side. Just still won't really eat. Never seen anything like this. I have had fish since I was a kid. Still my guess he had some kind of fish stroke and not an illness or bacteria/fungal type issue.

Wow that's amazing! You've taken really good care of your sweet fish :)

I hope he pulls through! Thinking of you and your fish.

That's incredible that you've had that fish for so long. You're a testament to the hobby. I hope he pulls through, or that he passes peacefully having lived a wonderful life.

Get a test kit so you can rule out water conditions. As a keeper of large cichlids myself, I can make a suggestion that 25% water change a week in a 65gallon is not enough to keep toxins from building up. Do a 50% water change and see if he perks up. At the age he is, it may just be old age.

I should have added to get a liquid test kit as strips are useless. API master kit is a cheap kit that works very well that most people use.

Back
Top Bottom