Sick or injured?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got a new black veil tail goldfish last Friday. I would have sworn he was completely black. Over the last few days I've noticed a few white areas. Not ich from what I see. But I can't tell if he's injured or if this is some form of stress. He had a rough first days. He would hide in the back or bottom of the tank. But the last 2 days he's SO much better. The only problem I see are these white areas. I almost wonder if he's blind...or perhaps blind in one eye since he doesn't see food as its falling around him. I have several river rock so perhaps he scraped himself?

Has anyone seen and know what this could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium AdviceImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439358810.509694.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439358829.265426.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Forgot to tell you about my water.

Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

I think so. The two areas on his body seem like they're bigger and I don't recall the area around his eye having any white the day before. Although they don't seem to be on the other side of his body.

I think so. The two areas on his body seem like they're bigger and I don't recall the area around his eye having any white the day before. Although they don't seem to be on the other side of his body.

The water quality seems fine. I wonder if the white patches could be an infection?

Could you try maintaining perfect water parameters, and slowly adding dissolved aquarium salt over a couple of days - 1 tablespoon for every 40 L, adding just 1 of the tablespoons of salt at a time.

I give this advice not as an expert, but think it is a good way to start. Hopefully others with more experience will see this post and also advise.

Please keep us posted on how your little guy is doing.

Well. I thought he was making a comeback but woke up this morning to a dead fish. :(. I'm bummed. I was a food looking fish

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A good looking fish. Auto correct gets me everytime

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Haha. I hope you didn't eat him.... J/kng. I believe he had some type of skin bacteria called body slime and then secondary fungal (mould) of those dead areas. Furan-2 should work, for your notes in the future.

Haha! To scrawny to eat. J/k. ;)

Thanks! I saw that one, but of course didn't pick it up.

apparently this is caused by a parasite that lives on fish skin and then the bacteria/mould sets in.....
Aquarium Slime Disease
I was wrong on the medicine, Rid-ick malachite green/formalin would have been better according to this article.

Thank you for the article. Now I need to get you to help me figure out what's wrong with my betta. ?

Back
Top Bottom