Sick or Spawning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LollyMac11

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two small fancy goldfish, they are about 2 years old. I noticed two days ago that one of them has small with pimply spots on the sides of his gills and on the edges of the fins under his gills. I have looked on the internet to find out what it could be as I am awear of white spot and the spawning pimples, however I dont know how to define which it is.
The fish isn't showing any signs of irritation by these spots, eg, scratching against gravel or orniments.
I don't know if the fish are male or female.....
My tank has a few real plants, lots of oxygen and the temp is at 20% (naturally, without a heater)
I'm unsure if I need to treat my fish for white spot, if it's not white spot, will treating them cause harm if it is spawning....not that I'm trying to breed them. But I don't want to cause ant distress to my fish!

Can someone please advise me!!!:fish2:
White spot....Spawning? Treatment.....No treatment? :confused:

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Thanks for responding,
I have had a look, however I am new to forums and I don't know how to find things properly. I have found info on both topics indervidually, but I can't find anything to tell me how to tell the difference, or if I treat it for white spot and it isn't if it will cause any harm.
Any other help? Or do you know the title of the thread you were talking about.
Sorry to be a pain.
Thanks again

:fish2:

Can you possibily post a pic? What size tank & what are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? I honestly think its breeding tubercules. Depending on the type of goldie, they can look like raised white dots/bumps or even like white bubbles on the gill plates & along the top of the pectoral fins. They can even be above the eyes. Some more info will help but i wouldnt worry too much!

Hi jlk,
I will take a photo later...and try to upload it.
As for the levels...maybe tomorrow or monday. If your still ok to help then...I will be graetful!
Thanks!:fish1:

And the tank is 90lts.

Last edited:
Glad to help!! Your tank is a bit small for these guys. 90litres is only about 23gallons. Fancies need 20gals for the first fish, 10gals for each fish after. They can grow quite large. You may want to to consider upgrading in the near future. If you cant get a pic up, let me know & ill post pic of one of my boys so you can clearly see the tubercules. :)

Hi jlk,
I have tried taking photos, unfortunatly it is too quick for my camera. Here is the best one. You prob can't see though. The fish isn't showing any other signs, and the spots aren't anywhere else on its body.
If you could upload a pic for me I would be very greatful. Thanks.

ForumRunner_20120107_213934.jpg

This is the two of them.....

ForumRunner_20120107_214033.jpg

ForumRunner_20120107_214103.jpg

They both seem very happy and active.

Thanks for the pics! Its a bit hard to see anything but they look healthy & happy! Enclosed 2 pics-hope they come out ok! Look closely at the gill plates. From the front view pic,you can see little white bumps/bubble-looking spots sticking out. From the sideview pic, you can see the bumps on the gill plates. On my black moors, they look like little white bubbles/specs rather than bumps but i couldnt get a clear pic of them. Hope this helps! :)

Attachments

• 100_2974.jpg
    100_2974.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_2805.jpg
    100_2805.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 71
If this is what you are seeing, do not worry!!!! Just means your fish is growing up & becoming a big boy now! LOL :)

We will have to wait & see on this one! Females goldies are bit harder to distinguish from the males. Look over the tank & down at them swimming. A female will have rounder, slightly lopsided side body shape when compared to a male. Her pectoral fins will also be narrower than a males. The final way is inspect their 'vents'- males will be concave & females will be convex (protrude). Or, you just may have another male whose breeding stars havent appeared yet. Time will tell! :)

That can be a task for tomorrow! Just got to get it to stop swimming around so quickly so that I can get a good look. I always try to inspect them when they are eating! They are so greedy! ;)

Back
Top Bottom