sick oscar please help dont know whats wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
iv had my oscar for 6 days now has I3een fine for the first couple of days I3ut now its sick.
symptoms: sits on ottom of tank all day, no appetite, stringy poo. apart from that he looks ok
when i first got it home it was swimming aI3it funny like it would seem as if it was standing up I3ut not moving
its aI3out 6 cms long
my tank is 63 gallons very clean water tests (api liquid tests) are all coming I3ack ok i think it may have I3een ill I3efore i got it home and the stress of moving tank has made it ill
any help please

37953-albums1631-picture17760.jpg

just I3umping the thread i really dont want to loose this fish plse help

Don't know much about Oscars but I wonder if he's costipated/bloated. What are you feeding and how much? Maybe try feeding them a thawed, deshelled frozen pea and then fast them for a day or two and see if that helps.

Oscars are typically very hearty fish. Stringy poo COULD indicate parasites.

By the way- what's with the I3 in place of the letter "b"? Makes posts less readable.

Oscars are typically very hearty fish. Stringy poo COULD indicate parasites.

Isn't stringy poo also possiI3ly constipation?

By the way- what's with the I3 in place of the letter "b"? Makes posts less readable.

It doesn't I3other me: rather, I find it humorous. :) I3ut I'm also fluent in Typo.

My guess is the OP is posting from a cell phone which has a I3ad "I3" I3utton.:lol:

It probably could be parasites but I feel it's always best to go with the easiest fix first and avoid meds if possible. Hopefully the fasting/peas will work. If not then it's probably time to look at other causes, internal parasites being one. Hopefully this isn't the case.

Hopefully it is bloated. Mine had it bad once. Lay on its side in the front corner of the tank for 2 days and seemed to be grasping for air. Thought he was a gonner for sure. I never fed him mealworms again after that.

The wired swimming is normal for oscars. Mine will swim in front of the power head then let himself go with the flow. Initially I thought he had a bladder problem.

If he's bloated it might be causing him to swim funny.

Hope he'll be ok

thank you all for your help my keyI3oard is I3roken thats why im typing like this sorry. this morning it was just lying on its side gasping iv just got home from work and its still doing the same, i was I3out to say i think its a gonner I3ut after reading tropical-fish's post, i did feed mine meal worms the day I3efore he started going funny hopefully thats whats wrong with him. hope he'll e ok tommorrow. the tank has I3een set up for 7 months. thanks everyone

Last edited:
It seems that young oscars have problems digesting the mealworm skin. Now I just stick to pellets.

I hope he pulls through, he's a little beauty.

Keep us posted :)

I hope your Oscar makes it he looks beautiful i have 2 of my own did you bay him so dark skind?

i have never seen an oscar with such contrast in the colours and it is spectacular!!

im very very sorry to hear about your loss. can i ask what it looked like when it died, very puffed up or very skinny or like it was attacked by another fish?

will u get another one? i couldnt live without my oscars xx

it looked just the same ut my shrimp had eaten the soft parts

most pet stores (in my area, at least) always have one or two oscars in the tank w/ the same symptoms you had with yours.. if your levels were legit, it very well could've been pre-existing.

i reccommend feeding color enhancing pellets & cichlid delight frozen cubes, if you get another oscar.. mine went from 1inch to 10inches in a little over a year & had AMAZING color

good luck

Attachments

• image-2639374149.jpg
    image-2639374149.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1165552355.jpg
    image-1165552355.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom