Sick Peppered Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had this little guy in a group of three for about a year. Purchased from a lfs, not big chain. It has been doing great, grown from an inch to almost two inches, I check my fish everyday. This is what I noticed tonight looking over my fish. And when I look under its white belly I see inside of it has red blotches. It has been quarantined in a 5 gal bucket at the moment. Need advice, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image-902035925.jpg
    image-902035925.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image-442959581.jpg
    image-442959581.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 75
Please help, having trouble diagnosing this

It's difficult to say what it is, if anything. You can't treat what you can't identify. If your cory is behaving normally otherwise, the redness may go away on its own. Check your water parameters. Without further information, good, clean water Is the best cure.

Have there been any changes to the tank? New inhabitants? What are your water parameters?

How are your water parameters? Any other noticeable changes in the fish as in loss of appetite? Is it lethargic? Any recent changes to the tank?

Sorry to hear about that. Not really sure what could be done. Could probably try treating with heat? (upping the temp a couple degrees over a few days)

Is it possible he got caught between the heater and the glass? It doesn't really look like a fungus or septicemia, but that last one is possible. How is he acting?

The fish has been behaving normally. BUT over night the white in between its scales has grown into a white growth. I quarantined it into a 5 gal bucket, added some gravel from its tanked, small filter and small 3gal heater. I am anxious to diagnose and treat.

Get him treated ASAP. Fungal infections are quick killers. I have used Fungus Guard with good results, but others prefer salt dips, hydrogen peroxide, and other remedies. I personally wouldn't use a salt dip with a cory though. And don't use Erythromycin for this even if a retailer says it is for fungus--it won't work. Good luck!

Doing a H2O2 bath right now. 5 ml in one gal of tank water for 3 minutes.

I have some API Pimafix for the fungus that is apparently in my main aquarium too. The active ingredient says Pimenta racemosa.

It sounds as if it has fungus on it. Is it smooth or fuzzy? You could administer some Melafix if it's a fungus. What is the temp. in it's current situation?

Doing a H2O2 bath right now. 5 ml in one gal of tank water for 30 minutes.

I have some API Pimafix for the fungus that is apparently in my main aquarium too. The active ingredient says Pimenta racemosa.

temp is 74 in main aquarium, put in quarantine...trying to get that temp up right now.

OK. Sounds like you're getting it under control! You might raise the temp a few degrees to help fight infection.

Thank you, will check it out tomorrow. Its past 9 here.

Upon further research, now I think its Columnaris, which is a bacterial infection. I'm so lost.

Back
Top Bottom