Sick pirahna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stockedkitchen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My sons 14yr pirahna is dyind I think. For the last few weeks he has be action like his air bladder has problems. He was upside down for awhile and now lays on his side. Everytime I think he's died I go to get him and he takes off. There are ciclids, goldfish and an oscar in the tank with him and they are doing fine. But they are starting to nibble at him. I would put him in another tank but I only have a 10gal beside my 100+gal that they are in. He is also going "gray" and his eyes are cloudy. My ex husand got this fish for my sons 3rd B-day and didnt think it would live this long. So my son is attached and it hurt him to see him suffering. Does anyone know what is wrong and/or how to humanly put him out of his misery?

The ice bath would do the trick calmly for the fish's sake if it comes to that.

Sorry to hear about this. But 11 years for any fish in an aquarium is a great success.

Sounds like he had a good life and I would imagine he is getting old. If you can stomach it, I don't know if I could, I would image a quick decapitation in a larger fish like this would be a quick way to put down the fish.

My sons 14yr pirahna is dyind I think. For the last few weeks he has be action like his air bladder has problems. He was upside down for awhile and now lays on his side. Everytime I think he's died I go to get him and he takes off. There are ciclids, goldfish and an oscar in the tank with him and they are doing fine. But they are starting to nibble at him. I would put him in another tank but I only have a 10gal beside my 100+gal that they are in. He is also going "gray" and his eyes are cloudy. My ex husand got this fish for my sons 3rd B-day and didnt think it would live this long. So my son is attached and it hurt him to see him suffering. Does anyone know what is wrong and/or how to humanly put him out of his misery?

Although the fish is laying placid, it is sometimes possible to bring a fish back around. If the fish has bouyancy problems its swim bladder is usually to blame.

Bacterial infections within the area will cause the swimbladder to become unstable. Although it maybe too late.... try using a swim bladder or internal bacteria treatment within the tank this may work.... but not 100% effective.

other than that, unfortunately its down to the fishes kidneys and adrenal systems failing and there is no cure.

Hope this helps, goodluck.

Wow, it is never too late with piranha! You really need to separate this animal into a 20g QT at least. Mix in aquarium salt slowly until 1ppt is reached. If fish does not seem agitated then add until 2ppt-3ppt is reached. What are your water parameters at including temperature? If the symptoms have worsened after trying to remedy for a couple days-week you can use a medication for bacteria such as Maracyn 2 (Minocycline) or Furacyn (Nitrofurazone). Sorry if this is too late.

Back
Top Bottom