Sick platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin199433

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 55 gallon tank has recently shown signs of a few of my fish beings sick. i have 2 platies, 1 female other male that are rubbing on the tank. the female has large white blotches and the male seems to have dark streaks on his back. i am unsure what it is that is causing this. local fish store said it might be it (its not ich) i treated the tank for that anyway. no small white sugar looking things. just large blotches of black on the male and white on the female. all of the rest of the fish seem to be fine, as they are showing no symptoms.

please help.

Hi, welcome to AA :)

Just in case - would you have water chemistry readings (eg ph, ammonia, temp?). Also has the tank been set up for long? Has anything changed in the tank as well or anything added just before this problem started?

Would another parasite infection eg velvet be possible? Are they flashing / rubbing all the time or just at meal times?

the platy that started it all is still eating she seems to be calm all the
time and hides but when she comes out for food she has a hard time and
starts flashing. she has been sick for a while now. they are all flashing
it seems like even the two large angels i have are rubbing on things. there
are no visible white sugar looking things. I've had ich before a very long
time ago. it doesnt seem the same. the only visible thing i have noticed
was the top part of the fish seems to be getting black on it almost looking
like someone painted the fish on the top. and they have noticeable white
from where they are rubbing. i havent had a sick tank in a very long time.
my water is at 78-80 right now and i tested the water every thing was low.
the ph has always been high here so it stays around 6-8 and my ammonia was
0-1 nitrate was good and nitrite was good as well.

any ammonia or nitrite showing up means the tank is not fully cycled. any recent changes or large cleanups? white spots that are not ich could be fungal. what are you using to test, strips or a liquid test kit? if so, what are the actual numbers? some people define good differently than others, and it is easier to help with specific numbers. good numbers for nitrite and ammonia are 0 and 0. anything else, not good.

Back
Top Bottom