Sick Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Misty77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have A sick platy that I have no idea what she has. Alot of the diseases sound too similiar. Have had her about 3 months along with another female and a male. The other female died not long after we had her dont know how she just disapeared under a ornament we had. The female thats sick went on to have about four batches of babies since we had her. Tested water its fine. Its a thirty gallon with other community fish in it no one else is sick. The symptoms she has are heavy breathing, not eating, open mouth,white slime on her body,fins tearing away, and now looks like red areas on both sides of her body. Has been sick about a week.Put Coppersafe from mardel in tank a couple days ago, and she just seems to be getting worse, any ideas on what it is and what else to do.

I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling.
You need to quarantine the sick fish right away. It sounds like a bacterial infection to me.
Daily water changes in her new home are a good idea as well. You may need to treat her with antibiotics like maracyn and maracyn 2. The 10 day treatment with both works pretty well. I would do it in quarantine if at all possible because the antibiotics can kill your bio filter.
Daily water changes are also necessary and would be a good idea to do several small water changes on your main tank as well to clean things up and help boost the health of the other fish so they don't get sick.
Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom