Sick platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl414

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think my platy might be sick, yesterday he was extremely lively like usual an I came home today and he was laying on the bottom of the tank. He stays upright but has trouble swimming so he stays on the bottom. His fins are all clenched up and im worried.

Bl414 said:
I think my platy might be sick, yesterday he was extremely lively like usual an I came home today and he was laying on the bottom of the tank. He stays upright but has trouble swimming so he stays on the bottom. His fins are all clenched up and im worried.

Clamped fins means poor water quality, and fluctuating of ph/temperature. So my advice is test Ur ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and keep an eye on Ur ph and temp for fluctuation.

My only thought to that would be Howcome none of the other fish are like that? He's the only one

Bl414 said:
My only thought to that would be Howcome none of the other fish are like that? He's the only one

O really? That makes thing complicated but staying at the bottom means exhaustion im pretty sure. Is he getting bullied? Because clamped fins can be caused by stress too. Can u give us Ur water parameters anyways?

What other fish!? I think it's sometimes from aggression! Like if he was a loser in a fight.

Yeah I'll do it in the morning. Theres 4 other platys in the tank but they're always peaceful and hardly ever chase eachother.

Parasites or water conditions would be my guess, explains the symptoms. Is the fish eating at all or when was the last time it did eat? Generally when a fish is laying on the bottom that's usually the last step before passing.

Not sure about today, but yesterday he did. I'll just do a big water change tomorrow and hope for the best. Just worried about if it does have parasites that it won't get to the rest of my fish

Bl414 said:
Yeah I'll do it in the morning. Theres 4 other platys in the tank but they're always peaceful and hardly ever chase eachother.

Oh ok shouldn't be that then... I obviously have African cichlids lol...

Those are all about aggression hah. So I woke up this morning and he was dead :(, doing a water change now

Sorry just tired and flustered
Here's the results
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 30. Time for a water change
pH - 7.5

That's sucks the fish died, the water parameters look good so there's really not anything to be done at this point without a diagnosis. Keep the water clean and monitor the remaining fish.

How long did the fish exhibit these symptoms? Around a week? And was the fish eating?

Alritey will do. Literally one day, on Thursday he was fine and then yesterday he was like this, now today he's dead. It's real confusing, and he was eating normal on Thursday also.

Back
Top Bottom