Sick Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlTheBruinsFan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think this fish may have been sick for awhile now.
Shes has always had long clear stringy poop.
And now she appears to have a white spotty streak through the center of her tail fin. The fin past the streak looks clear almost transparent. While the rest of the fin going towards the body retains her orange colour.

My camera is not good enough to get a good picture.

Any idea what this might be?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hi sounds like an internal problem, best idea if possible would be to try and feed live daphnia and some frozen grub. Good luck.

Hello Thanks for the replies.
This fish died last night to what appeared to be fin rot.
My water parameters are good. And all my other fish seems fine.
Are my other fish at risk?

Your fish could be at risk if it was fin rot.
I would keep doing some PWC, boost the temp up a little bit and maybe ask around for some good meds (I know none, sorry).

Thanks for the advice!

And BruinsBro are you a Boston Bruins fan by any chance?

There are fellow Bostonians on this forum? Awesome.

I had no idea fin rot could actually kill fish. I've only ever had bettas with fin rot and they always recovered with higher temps and a teensy bit of salt.

I am not actually from Boston. Just you typical crazy fanatical Canadian hockey fan that happens to cheer for the Bruins.

I cannot be sure it was fin rot.
The guy at my LFS said it was some kind of fungus and gave me this tea tree oil medication.

I treated the water once and the fish was dead the next day.
Her tail fin looked all tattered so I am assuming it was fin rot.

But all my fish look fine for now, I did a 25-30% PWC last night.
I will just keep a close eye on them. If I see anything I will use that medication I already have.

Back
Top Bottom