Sick Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kittykat364

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

The sick fish is a (Mickey Mouse) platy. She has raised white spots on her head and she seems a little bloated. I'm sure it's not ich since my other fish had ich and this is definitely different. The white spots have something sticking out of them a little. I've attached some pictures. The two pictures that are head on turned out sideways, she is not laying on her side.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

In the 10 gal she was in when she got sick, it was 0ppm Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. It's fully cycled. I'm not sure about the quarantine tank she is in now.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

She was in a 10 gallon tank that had been set up for a few months as a grow out tank. The 10 gal is hooked up to 2.5 and 3 gal tanks, so the total water volume is actually about 15.5 gallons. Now she's in a 1 gallon bowl for quarantine. She's been in the bowl for a while. We put her in a small bowl so we could easily do water changes.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

In the all of the 10 gallon, 2.5 gallon, and 3 gallon tanks, there is a sponge filter (for a total of 3 in that system), and those three filters are hooked up to a tetra whisper 10 air pump (not one each, one pump for the 3 filters). The air pump has a .5 L/m air flow. There isn't any filter in the bowl.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

In the grow out tank, there are a lot of guppies and platies from 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch. In the bowl, it is just the platy.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

It's a planted tank so we don't do gravel vacuums but we remove water when necessary (most of the time it's about 2 gal/week), but not often since the plants suck up the nitrates and there is no ammonia or nitrites.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

We've had the fish for about 6 months, she was born here (it's a little hard to know exactly how old she is since they were constantly having babies at one point and all the fry stayed in the tank)

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Nope! Same old tank.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

I feed the fish a mix of flakes, pellets, and seaweed all ground up. I haven't changed the diet recently.

:thanks: Thank you for reading this long post! :thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_4842.jpg
    IMG_4842.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4851.jpg
    IMG_4851.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 66
She's now got more spots than yesterday. I can post a picture if needed.

Back
Top Bottom