Sick platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fiddlercrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 1 platy with a bunch of other fish in a 10 gallon. All the fish seem fine but the platy is not as active and has red poop. I was wondering what is wrong with it. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF0240.jpg
    DSCF0240.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 40
My fish get red poop if all I feed them is flakes, especially color enhancing.

Please tell us your tank size, how long it's been set up, you water parameters, your filtration situation, your water change schedule, what fish you have in this tank, and how long you've had them.

I have a 10 GALLON and i have a silver hatchet that is also crapping red poop now, and i have neon tetra serapae tetra and a pygmy gourami and a guppies, change water weekly, strong 15 gallon filter water parameters are all normal.

I *really* wouldn't worry about the red poop. If you feed your fish tropical flakes, they are getting a lot of carotenoids.

So you have
1 platy
1 silver hatchet
1 neon tetra
1 serape tetra
1 pygmy gourami
1 guppy

How long have you had them?

Platies, tetras, and guppies like to be with other platies, tetras, and guppies.

What is your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature, and hardness?

everything is right but i have 6 guppies, 1 cory catfish and 2 swordtails along with the fish you listed. I had them for about 2 months. I test my water often and everything is normal.

Your tank is far over stocked. Platies (and cory cats, for that matter) like to be in groups.

I don't know what constitutes "normal" to you, but I would guess that your tank isn't cycled. Given the overpopulation, I suspect ammonia is building up and stressing the fish out.

Update

So today I went to the store and bought 2 more neon tetras so now I have 3, am i going to be overstocked?

everything is right but i have 6 guppies, 1 cory catfish and 2 swordtails along with the fish you listed. I had them for about 2 months. I test my water often and everything is normal.

I typically recommend at least 30g for Swordtails. The females can hit 5" I believe and they are very active swimmers.

Your stock is mostly not a great mix and not good long term in a 10g. IMHO

2 months is still a very new tank.

If you want advice let us know. It's your tank, but I think you may start loosing fish. I hope not.

Serpae can be nasty when they are kept in small tanks without a big group. They may start nipping your Guppy fins, Swords can be semi-aggressive in this kind of situation as well.

3 groups of Livebearers in a 10g. Poor Corydoras.

That poor Hatchet must be a nervous wreck. I kept groups of 6-8 minimum in a 55g with a tight lid and plenty of plants, esp floating plants. They are very timid without a group and plenty of cover IME.

I am not trying to be mean. We are started off with crazy tanks. Just research your fish for yourself, learn what they need for long term health. LiveAquaria has some decent basic recommendations for care.

My small fish tend to live about 4-5 years. Cories can live 10-20 years.

A couple of my Cory sterbai in my 55g they will end up with 8-10 in the group
https://youtu.be/6k7gKA-8Yw0

My old 10g w Cory habrosus ( 1" as adults) I kept 5 in my 10g with my Shrimp
https://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

Back
Top Bottom