sick platy not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Need advice. I have 4 boy platys in my tank 3 are doing great but the other one has gone really thin, having white poo & difficulty eating. All my readings are perfect tanks been running for 7months. Need some advice its sad to see him this way & would like to help. Thanks

Hello,
what are the water parameters? What size is the tank? Another other tankmates? Any other signs of disease? Frayed fins, bloat, clamped fins?

Thanks for the quick reply. Ammonia 0 nirite 0 nitrate 5. Sailfin Molly, guppies, rasboras, dwarf rainbows, bulldog plec, bristlenose plec & apple snail. He seemed to change when i got rid of the girls to a friend the tank was getting over run with fry! Haven't seen any bullying been watching closely the food keeps falling out of his mouth even when i,ve crushed it. No other signs off illnesses. Thanks

Ok. How big is the tank?
Your parameters are good. Any new fish? How long have you had him for? I would suggest garlic guard with his food (or a similar product) in case its an internal parasite. Also, the garlic acts as an appetite stimulator, so that could help him out too. It won't hurt the other fish at all. :)

My tank is a 180liters, no new fish. I,ve had him for 5months. I,ll give that a try as he's a lovely fish.

Ok. It sounds like you have everything in order in your tank, so I recommend the garlic. Hopefully that helps him out a bit. Keep us posted!

Hi again, got a close up of my platy today & he seems to have what looks like a lump above his eye, tried to get a photo of him but he's gone & hid. Could this be why he's not eating? Any advice would be great.

Yeah, it could be indeed. I do not know all the causes for fish getting lumps, but IME it doesn't usually end well. I hope your little guy is ok. Did you try googling fish lumps?

Thanks for getting back to me, have looked on google no joy, his lump is the same colour as him? he's still not eating & he looks like a razor blade its sad to watch. He's still holding his fins up which is strange. Thanks for the advice:(

I wish I could be more helpful. All the causes of lumps that I personally know of are internal issues rather than easy fixes. So, I am out of help right now. Hopefully somebody else chimes in who can be more helpful than me, but this thread is active, so if nobody else chimes in its because nobody else knows either. :( You have a good sized tank with compatable tankmates and excellent water params. So, hopefully your little guy can pull through! I know it sucks to watch them suffer.

I,ll keep a close eye on him, hopefully he,ll get better. Thanks for your advice :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom