Sick Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toddski

Aquarium Advice Newbie
For the past couple weeks my pleco has been going to the surface and gulping air more often than he used to. Yesterday Morning I noticed him on the bottom laying on his side and seemingly panting. I see no external marks or evidence of disease. I bought the pleco 15 years ago when he was about 1/2" long. He is now a little over 18 inches. The aquarium is 75 gallons.
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Hardness 150
Alkalinity 150
PH 7.5
Amonia 0

Other fish in the tank are 4 Blue Gouramis
3 head tail lights
one black fin tetra?

All fish have been in the tank for at least two years.
Filter - Just swapped out the Fluval 405 for a Magnum 350 (pleco was darting for air previous to this switch) The morning after installing the new filter I found the pleco on it's side.
Nothing new has been added to the tank
I try to vacuum the gravel every other month and clean the filter. I add water to the aquarium as need to keep it filled.
The pleco gets fed every night. Sinking shrimp pellets and one or two algea discs.
I realize the life expectancy is about 15 years for the pleco but I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep him alive and well for as long as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Todd

The water temp is 78 and he is not doing well for the past few days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas on what I can look for? Or is he just at the end of his life?

I don't have any advice for you. At that age, you may be right about it just being near the end of his lifespan. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

yesterday I treated the water with PolyGuard per the advice of a pet store. He's hasn't moved in a couple days and is on his back but still breathing and getting skinny. Really stinks to see him like this. I wish I could add some liquid nutrition to the water so he would be able to get nourishment. I did soak a couple algae chips in water then blended them until they were dissolved and poured that into the tank but not sure if that's helping or hurting the situation.

How are your water parameters looking after the filter change? I realize you said this was going on before, but usually you get a new filter the water is ready for a filter clean out. Or did the filter break down?

No new fish in the last couple months?

Try adding a bit of oil squeezed out of a garlic clove onto a couple sinking wafers and drop them down in front of him. Sometimes that stimulates them to eat, plus it is healthy for him.

You might try a rubbermaid tub and catch him and treat him in there if he doesn't start eating and all the rest of the fish seem fine.

It is sad when a "pet" isn't well, especially one which has been with you for such a long time. I hope he gets well.

that is a shame and i am sorry to hear it. if you cannot tempt him with some of his favorite foods, it may be time to make a very difficult decision. it sounds like you gave him a far better life than many other commons.

He is suffering no more. I left the house a few hours ago and came home to find him no longer breathing. He had a great 15 years. Wish we had him for 15 more though.

Back
Top Bottom