Sick pleco and rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zombiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My pleco has developed a light pinkes spot on his head and now on the side, my rainbow shark also has a faint grey spot on his head. any ideas of what this might be and how to treat it. iv added salt and increasing the heat. i dont wana lose my baby pleco it took me a while to find one locally.

Pics soon ( probly blury cuz my camera sucks )

Well by adding salt and increasing temp it sounds like you are trying to treat for Ich, and I can tell you that is def not ich. Its hard to see the texture in the pics, but looks like it might be some kind of bacterial infection.

i held off on the salt and heat for now, currently trying to rush to walmart for some treatment iv been told its probly saprolegnia

Coursair said:
Often skin ailments are directly related to tank conditions. Clean environment is extremely important.

+1
Check your water ASAP. You don't want to be throwing meds in the tank without knowing whats wrong. Are the spots sunken/a hole, fuzzy or a flat slimy sheet?

It seems to be fuzzy, my water conditions pretty normal tho i am having a high spike in nitrates and nitrites for the past 4 days, but has been going down slowly.

Sounds like a bacterial infection. First thing you need to do is address the issue with the water quality. Large water changes until you can get nitrite to 0 and nitrate as low as you can. The cleaner the water the better. Check it every day and change as necessary. Salt is the first course of action. I would recommend a half dose because plecos can be sensitive. 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons of water. Dissolve it in a container of tank water before you add. You need to replace what is removed with water changes. If you change half the water you need to add a half dose of salt back in. Keep track of how much salt is in the tank. Write it down if you have to. In a couple of days if they don't make an improvement with just clean water and salt I would recommended dabbing hydrogen peroxide on the infected areas to kill the bacteria. To do this remove the fish from the tank and place in a towel that's been wet with tank water. Take a q-tip and use it to dab the infected areas with hydrogen peroxide. Return the fish to the tank. Avoid the eyes and gill area.

thx, iv been doing about 25% every 2 days seince i noticed the spike, ill normalize the water and try the paraoxide befor i add any treatment. thx again

The shark is, but the pleco dosnt even run away when i put my hand in the tank, i can pet him, hes only maybe an inch big he usuly runs off.

Well posted the last post at work, when i got home he was dead. Im trying to figure out what is wrong because i still have a rainbow shark and an albino bristle-nose in the tank. I started a new thread with new pics of the pleco.

Back
Top Bottom