Sick rainbow fish? Advice for beginner please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebaron2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I have a 38g with a couple of live plants in my office. We noticed yesterday that one of our rainbows seems to be lethargic and just hanging out near the top of the tank. He isn't swimming around a bunch and then this morning he didn't feed with everyone else when I did the morning flakes.

Here's a list of the tank occupants:

• 2 Lake Tebera Rainbows
  • 3 Millenium Rainbows
  • 2 Panda Garras
  • 6 Harlequin rasboras
  • 6 Pentazona Barbs

I took a few pictures with my cell phone of what I believe to be the sick Tebera Rainbow. Both of his sides seem to have a dark patch or something. Yesterday it almost looked like his skin was flaking or something on the right side, you can see it in the first picture although this morning that's gone and now it looks just like a dark circular area.

Here's an album of 4 pictures from yesterday around 3pm:
Day 1 - Imgur

And here's an album of 2 pictures from this morning:
Photo Album - Imgur

We're all pretty new at dealing with fish so I don't have any experience with sick ones.

The other noteworthy thing is that last week we lost 3 Kamaka Rainbowfish over 2 days. I went to the fish store where we got them with a water sample and they said that everything looked fine and it was probably an issue with the fish themselves since all 3 died and only those 3. We haven't had any other tank casualties since we started the tank back in late March.

Any ideas? Something definitely seems wrong with our Rainbow but I don't know what to do. Let it run its course? Take him out and to the store? Is there some way to treat him or do I need to worry if this may spread to other fish?

As of now everyone else seems just fine.

Now I'm thinking it may be an injury. He just swam buy and I noticed something almost coming out of the area by his stomach. I took a few different pictures. Here's a link to them:

Photo Album - Imgur

If anyone has advice on what we should do I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom