Sick Ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfspyder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Blue Ram in my tank that is acting strange. It will sit at the bottom of the tank upside down(usually under a plant leaf and near my air stone). It can swim normally for a quick burst and then it sort of will float head down and tail up, and then upside down. I tested my water and saw that I had some pretty high nitrates(due to overfeeding I am sure). I did some good sized water changes over the past couple of days and fed them less, it has brought my nitrates back into control.

The day after I did the first water change my ram was more normal, just hanging out at the bottom of the tank rightside up. Today though it is back to its upside down routine. It does eat, I scoop it into my net and then drop in some food and it eats it up, but then when I release it, down to the bottom it will swim and eventually get turned upside down.

For the past couple of weeks I've noticed it is pretty uncoordinated when it swims to eat. Often it misses what it goes after and sometimes does flips when it overshoots to go after the food. I've had other rams that are more "normal" swimming than this one.

Has anyone experienced a fish behaving this way? I have 5 glo-lite tetras, 2 ottos and an apple snail in the tank(10 gallon) and they seem to be doing fine.

Any advice would help, I'd like to hang on to this ram if possible, since I've yet to see coloration like it in other rams(white body w/ black spots instead of yellowish front w/ black spots).

Hi. I was checking for any unanswered posts and saw it's been awhile and no one's responded. How is your fish? Do you still need assistance? If so, I have a reply waiting.

Back
Top Bottom