Sick Red & White FanTail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenn Atterton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My red & white fantail (correct name?) is not well. It's taken to floating on it's side at the top of the tank. Only movement the fish has would appear to be from the water passing through it's gill's as it expells the water. Has some small black markings on its tail fin(see pic). Hasn't eaten for days. At the moment it's in a small tub while I try and find a cure.

Has been living in airated & filtered tank 12x12x12 with a LionHead & 2 snails. LionHead & snails OK :cry:

Pic of tank looks murky but it ain't like that in real life. Just hasn't taken a good pic

At first glance, it looks like a mighty small tank for those fish :(. Have you tested the tank for ammonia and/or other toxins? If not, some local fish stores will do it for you, just call around.

Eric

Thanx for the reply. Have poorly fish in isolation at the moment.

Have not tested water etc. Fish took ill after water change. Wil get something to test it.

Both fish have been in tank for approx 9 months and this is the 1st problem we have had. Will look into bigger tank. What size would you recommend?

How big are your fish? In my experience, a very sluggish fish like yours is acting that way because it has been under stress like a drastic temp. change. I have seen a lot of goldfish acting this way, pretty weird since they are some of the hardiest fish. This stress could be from incorrect water parameters or the smaller size of your tank. Using the calculators on this site, your current tank size is about 7 gallons. For your two goldfish (I'm estimating their size to be about 3-4 in.) I'd say somthing like a 15-20 gallon would be nice and comfertble/roomy.

I think 15-20 gallons may still be a little on the small side. If you go to wal-mart you can get a 55 gallon aquarim kit complete with what you need for those guys, and then buy a stand for around $200.00. That is a costly and big upgrade, but those fish dont have enough room and I bet the ammonia is off the charts with two goldfish.

Hey Glenn

You will need to test for the following to really determine the quality of the water now, even before getting the new tank.

Ammonia should be kept at 0 but definately below 0.10ppm
Nitrite should be kept at 0 but definately below 0.10ppm
Nitrate between 10 to 50ppm
pH between 6 - 8pH with ideal at 7.2 for goldfish

How often do change the water?
Do you get the temp of the water the same as the tank water before adding it?
What is your tap water pH?

Hope all is going ok
Louise

While the goldfish bowl of old may not be enough, I think 55 gallons is just a wee bit of overkill for 2 fancy goldfish 8O. Everyone should agree with Louise, regular water changes, while not always the end all - cure all, are a necessity. The closer, chemistry wise, the new water is to the old water, the less stress this will put on your fish. You really want to dilute the toxins. Repeat after me - "dilution is the cure for pollution" :roll:

Then again, maybe it's just your fantails' time :(

Eric

littlelouie said:
Hey Glenn
1. How often do change the water?
2. Do you get the temp of the water the same as the tank water before adding it?
3. What is your tap water pH?
Louise

in reply to above

1. once a week
2. yes
3. don't know

Fish does not appear to be waisting away. Still looks plump.

Fish now has more black discolouring on tail and what looks like an ulcer/growth on it's upper body.Will buy something to treat this as it seems a shame to let it go. It's hangning on in there.

Fish are 3 & 3.5" approx in a tank thats 12x9x6 which has a cap of 2 gallon using the site calc.Tank has a filter and an aerator in the stones. No under gravel filter.

Make sure to read the instructions on the bottle of treatment you get as many require you to remove filtration etc to allow medication to work and to avoid killing off the bacteria that is beneficial to the tank.

BTW with the water changes how much do you do each week. Over time the bacteria may not have had a chance to thrive and therefore cannot control the ammonia and nitrites successfully. What are the ammonia and nitrite levels?

Having this info will help you find answers to the problem.

Hope the medication helps.

Louise

OK thanx everone. Fish is now happy :D Going up and down like a submarine :)

:( Now the snails have given up. One's floating at the waterline and the others doing nothing at the bottom. Anyone got any idea's on snails :?:

Back
Top Bottom