sick Red Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
So here i go again. My Red Dwarf Gourami has lost his appetite and is being bullied by the other fishs in my aquarium. He has a big stomach and i think it might be bladder problems though i'm not sure. It is happening for a couple of days now about 1 week or 2 not quite sure. I've tried feeding him with peas but he doesn't want to eat. Below are some pics of him. I hope someone can help. Epsom salt might be out of the question since i have a Clown Loach which is scaleless.

Attachments

• dscn1089__large__298.jpg
    dscn1089__large__298.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 36
  • dscn1093__large__972.jpg
    dscn1093__large__972.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 37
Any chance you can QT him? Even a clean 5 gal bucket with a filter and airstone can make a QT. There is an excellent article here that describes how to do it. That way if you have to medicate you won't have to worry about the clown loach.

not recently i really think it's a bladder problem. i never saw him poop as far as i can remember but i'm not watching my aquarium 24Hrs per day.

about QT i'm not equiped to do that. I dont have any spare filter or heater. I'll go to my LFS today during my dinner time to see how much is a small aquarium fully equiped to make a QT. So if i do a QT with what do i treat him epsom salt ?

ah well 90$ later to save a 6.99 fish funny but it might be useful later if i want to do some breeding. i've bought a 5 Gallon aquarium with a filter and a heater. I didnt buy any decoration since it is a QT. I evidently bought epsom salt. So the next step is to setup my QT and put some epsom salt in it ? How do i procede ? How do i add the epsom salt ? Do i put the fish first and the add the salt gradually or do i put the salt in it and add the fish?

The recommended dosage is 1/8 tsp per 5 gals. Add the water etc then add the salt then put the gourami in there. Good luck. Keep an eye on the parameters as a QT will not be cycled obviously.

I know exactly how you feel. We all do, everyone has had to deal with some illness at one time or another. Keep an eye out for if any scales start sticking out, that would indicate dropsy.

I saw some kind of poop this morning. I'm not sure if it mean something but it was clear not filled like the usual. Do you have any kind of picture to show me on what you said about scales starting to stick out. i'm not really sure what you mean.

OK great i'll try to stop at my LFS asap to see if i can find any of the following medication. Does the Epsom salt still helpfull in this case ?

ok i bought some Melafix which you might also be aquainted with. It's an antibacterial. So i followed the instructions. 1 tsp per 10 gallons so half in my 5 gallons. Do i keep adding epsom salt daily 1/8 tsp ?

If you don't change the water out don't add more epsom salt. Only add it when you change the water. Melafix is very mild and may very well not be strong enough for treatment.

well.. i'll double the dozage then i wont go buy anymore stuff. my LFS has only melafix so 'ill do with that for now. this morning he had a long trail of poop following him it was mostly clear. Anyway thank you Zagz for your support t'ill now. It has been a great help and greatly appreciated. I just hope my fish get better now.

ah darn... he is almost dead. he wont pass the night. Not very interesting scene to see. he is suffocating or something. Thank your for you help anyway. I wont restock him with another one since my tank is already full. Just hope the others will last.

Aww I am so sorry, if he is suffering euthanize him. Put a glass of water in the freezer and when it is almost frozen, slushy, drop him in and the cold will shock him to death instantly. So sorry to hear that, it is heartbreaking when you try so hard to save them. You did your best, dropsy is a difficult disease.

Indeed but at least i know more about fish diseases and i know how to cure them. I also have a QT so i'm fully ready if not almost for sick fishes. that conclude this topic.

Back
Top Bottom