Sick rescued Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tanya40627

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently rescued a Betta from a uneducated owner that kept him in poor tank conditions. I've upgraded him from a critter keeper to a 5 gallon. He is presenting with symptoms similar to constipation and fin rot. Also, his personality has changed he doesn't greet me and he tries to hide or lays on the bottom. I have placed a hammock just under the water line incase he gets fatigued. I was advised to give him a 1/4 pea but it just seemed to worsen the condition. I'm currently cycle the critter keeper for his Epsom salt dip. I've had bettas in the past majority living 6 years. I need help diagnosing him. I don't want him to suffer any more than his has.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 72
I'd think as you have mentioned but now also he is trying to adjust to a clean-water tank (old tank syndrome - so hence just gradual changes). To me, you sound like you know what you are doing?

If the fin rot is now bacterial (ie getting worse even though tank has improved), I'd try furan 2 but tbh would just see if he improves first. Unfortunately it sounds like he was rescued hopefully just in time and there really is no med for fish miss-treated like this.

If the tank he is in may be a little unstable (ie chance of ammonia), then I have found running carbon/zeolite products to soak up anything bad in the water useful in the past.

I'd think as you have mentioned but now also he is trying to adjust to a clean-water tank (old tank syndrome - so hence just gradual changes). To me, you sound like you know what you are doing?

If the fin rot is now bacterial (ie getting worse even though tank has improved), I'd try furan 2 but tbh would just see if he improves first. Unfortunately it sounds like he was rescued hopefully just in time and there really is no med for fish miss-treated like this.

If the tank he is in may be a little unstable (ie chance of ammonia), then I have found running carbon/zeolite products to soak up anything bad in the water useful in the past.

Are those products sold in Canada?

You would need to check with the store.

Honestly though, I don't think you can do much more and meds present a risk in themselves unfortunately. Not least to the bacterial bed as well for new tanks.

The carbon and zeolite should be as natural products so I'd think readily available.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=562#.WbKcRUE_WEc

I'm in Australia but saw a recent thread where it looked like furan 2 for fish were available in Canada. Or the store would be able to suggest a treatment. I'd pop into the store to see what they have but not buy anything just yet. The constipation I'd see as the greater issue than the fin rot.

You would need to check with the store.

Honestly though, I don't think you can do much more and meds present a risk in themselves unfortunately. Not least to the bacterial bed as well for new tanks.

The carbon and zeolite should be as natural products so I'd think readily available.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=562#.WbKcRUE_WEc

I'm in Australia but saw a recent thread where it looked like furan 2 for fish were available in Canada. Or the store would be able to suggest a treatment. I'd pop into the store to see what they have but not buy anything just yet. The constipation I'd see as the greater issue than the fin rot.

Definitely the constipated ( I hope that is all it is) is my top priority. His appetite is poor occasionally eating. Although I wouldn't want to eat if I was backed up like this either. I really appreciate your advice and that you replied.

Poor little guy! I would probably just try not feeding him anything for 2 days and give his tummy a break. If all of your tank levels are good then probably that alone will do the most for him. I have read that adding almond leaves also does a lot to improve Betta health. I just added some to my tank. It does add color to the water but in my mind if it is better for the Betta it is worth it.

I rescued a very pale Betta with fairly bad fin rot a few years ago and he eventually turned beautiful colors and regrew most, though not all, of his fins. Sometimes if they have been in bad shape for a while not all of their fins will regrow. If the rot is getting close to his body though I would try meds. If it is still near the ends I would give it a few weeks before doing meds. I used them too soon with my Betta and made everything worse. I eventually fixed the problem but it took me months instead of weeks if I had just let the clean water do its job. Taking a picture every few days helps keep track of the growth. I am not an expert at all but I hope that helps some!

Thanks for the advice. I've done a 3 day fast but no results. I've been doing Epsom salt dips. Not sure how long before it works. It's so frustrating, I just want him to recover. It has been about a week now.

Advice needed for Betta

I've recently rescued a Betta from a uneducated owner that kept him in poor tank conditions. I've upgraded him from a critter keeper to a 5 gallon. He is presenting with symptoms similar to constipation and fin rot. Also, his personality has changed he doesn't greet me and he tries to hide or lays on the bottom. I have placed a hammock just under the water line incase he gets fatigued. I was advised to give him a 1/4 pea but it just seemed to worsen the condition. I'm currently cycle the critter keeper for his Epsom salt dip. I've had bettas in the past majority living 6 years. I need help diagnosing him. I don't want him to suffer any more than his has.

Still not show great improvement. Fasting isn't working with the bloating. I have done a couple Epsom salt dips. Changed my filter from a 5 gal to a 15 in a 5 gal tank. Seen some improvement with activity since changing the filter and adding heater. Although fin rot has worsened. Is it possible for him to have parasites since the fasting and Epsom salts haven't decreased bloating? Strongly considering kanaplex as his appetite comes and goes so a polymer med wouldn't be reliable. Please help me save him.

Kanaplax and furan 2 - really into antibiotics at this point unfortunately and no guarantee there. I'd pretty much say you have done all you could regretfully.

How is he doing? I am wondering if it is possible he has a tumor or something and not bloating. Sometimes you save a fish and there is nothing you can do but know that you at least gave them a comfortable place to spend the end of their life :(

"Buddy Update"

How is he doing? I am wondering if it is possible he has a tumor or something and not bloating. Sometimes you save a fish and there is nothing you can do but know that you at least gave them a comfortable place to spend the end of their life :(

So I've talked to my local aquarium store. She suggested distilled reserve osmosis water ration 1:1 with treated tap water. Supposedly the city water commission doesn't adjust the chemicals when the water table is low. She had a lot of people coming in with the same problem of failing bettas. The first year she opened her store she kept losing her freshwater fish. When she would test the parameters they were perfect even though the fish kept dying. So Buddy is still alive, just doing a partial water change. I keep him in a quite area of the house and keep his lights off as much as possible. I've purchased the kanaplex and a large moss ball. If he survives I will be upgrading his tank even larger. My brother is giving me back my 30 gallon tank. I may divide it so I can have 2 x 15 gal. If he does recover maybe I will treat him to the 30 gal all to himself with some snails.

Oh wow, that is tough. If he is happy and does well in the 30 gallon and you want more fish; I have had really good luck with cories in the same tank as my male bettas.

Back
Top Bottom