Sick Rhino Pleco!!!??? Please Help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VWVR6Love

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
NEVERMIND, it died :cry:

I got a 29 Gallon tank about a month and a half ago.
the fish in my tank are (were):
5 Neon Tetras
6 Glo-Light Tetras
3 Blue Dwarf Gouramis
1 One Inch in size marble colored Angelfish
1 Rock Shrimp
1 Two Inch Rhino Plecostomus

What happened was.....
about 3 weeks after having the tank, I added some Plants, and one piece of Driftwood. A couple of days after, i noticed i had some lil white lumps on the eyes of my Tetras. i went to the local Fish store, the guy told me they have a fungus. He gave me some PimaFix to use. I put it in as directed. and two days later, i began losing my Tetras, then the smallest of my Gourami's got in a sick rut. he died about two weeks later(one week ago).

Now i am down to:
2 Dwarf Blue Gouramis
1 One inch Angelfish
1 (Sick) Pleco
1 Rock Shrimp

My lil Rhino Pleco is not eating and he seems to suck himself to the wall for a little bit, then he will just let go and lay on the Rocks like he's dying.
If you let him sit for awhile, he will eventually move enough to plant himself to the glass again. and when he sits on the rocks, its like he isnt sucking or feeding on the rocks. i am really concerned for him/her.
I would like to see it back in good health. Oh, and today at my lunch time, it was just laying there, then all of a sudden while the other fish swam around him, he decided to get away fast. he went swimming in a rush, then found himself flipping upside down for a few seconds, then ended up back on the rocks in normal position.

Please help me to put this lil guy back in good spirits!! hes a nice addition to my tank and i dont want to lose another fish!

Thanks for any help you guys!!!

Oh and my chemical readings are.....
Ammonia----0.0PPM
PH-----------6.4-6.6
Nitrites------2.0PPM
Nitrates-----10.0PPM

It looks like your tank isn't completely cycled yet and uncycled tanks are hard on bottem dwellers. And some plecos don't do well with the addition of meds to a tank but pimafix is supposed to be safe for them. I would do lots of partial water changes and see if that helps.

I took care of the water changes, i had to get that stuff out of there. i performed about 30% water changes three times to get rid of the PimaFix. then i added aquarium salt very slowly. i would put some in one day then some more the next just to gradually increase the level of salt in the tank. i have since then added more temperature to the tank. it used to dwell around 76-78 degrees, now it dwells around 79-81 degrees until i see normal activity again. all of my other fish are looking very healthy and i think it is almost time to lower it back down to a normal temp.

it seems my lil rhino isnt doing too bad cause when i go back downstairs, he is in a different spot. i guess he is just got the normal pleco shyness syndrome :) I really hope thats all it is...

Oh....I don't think I would add salt to a pleco tank either. Generally scaleless fish don't appreciate salt in their water. Why did you add salt?

I added salt because my other fish were sick and i lost all of my Tetra's and one Gourami to PIMAFIX. so i decided to do the salt and warm up the tank a bit. i guess i will leave out the salt this next water change coming up tomorrow or saturday because i am going on vacation for a week. that aughta help him i hope.

But how do my Test results look from my first post??

i thought they were starting to look rather decent for a change! LOL :)

Back
Top Bottom